-   -   Problems with feet an inches (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/121473-problems-feet-inches.html)

Ken

Problems with feet an inches

I have imported a column of data from another program that is in feet and
inches (1' 7"). There is a space separating the values. I need to average
this column. It is not that important on the final format. It doesn't have to
be in feet and inches. How can I do this without manually converting each
cell?

Bernie Deitrick

Problems with feet an inches

Ken,

If your lengths are in column A, starting in cell A2, then use this formula in another column:

=VALUE(LEFT(A2,FIND("'",A2)-1))+ VALUE(MID(A2,FIND("'",A2)+1,FIND("""",A2)-FIND("'",A2)-1))/12

and copy down to match your list. This will give you decimal feet, which you can then average.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Ken" wrote in message
I have imported a column of data from another program that is in feet and
inches (1' 7"). There is a space separating the values. I need to average
this column. It is not that important on the final format. It doesn't have to
be in feet and inches. How can I do this without manually converting each
cell?

Ken

Problems with feet an inches

Bernie, thanks alot. That worked perfectly. Now I have another problem. In
this same spreadsheet, I have imported 2 other columns of text data. I would
like to use the average formula you gave me with certain conditions. Both
columns contain one of 2 possible results, lets say it is "yes" or "no" for
column 1 and "up" or "down" for column 2. I would like to average the results
of the third column (feet and inches) if the text in column 1 and the text in
column 2 contain "no" and "down" respectively. I have tried using logical
functions but they seem to only work with numbers. Can you help me with this
also?
Ken

Bernie Deitrick

Problems with feet an inches

Ken,

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="no")*(B1:B100="down")*(C1:C1 00))/SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="no")*(B1:B100="down"))

Or, use a Pivot table set for average - much easier to get your four combinations of values
averaged.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Ken" wrote in message
Bernie, thanks alot. That worked perfectly. Now I have another problem. In
this same spreadsheet, I have imported 2 other columns of text data. I would
like to use the average formula you gave me with certain conditions. Both
columns contain one of 2 possible results, lets say it is "yes" or "no" for
column 1 and "up" or "down" for column 2. I would like to average the results
of the third column (feet and inches) if the text in column 1 and the text in
column 2 contain "no" and "down" respectively. I have tried using logical
functions but they seem to only work with numbers. Can you help me with this
also?
Ken

Ken

Problems with feet an inches

Bernie, I tried the formula:
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="no")*(B1:B100="down")*(C1:C1 00))/SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="no")*(B1:B100="down")),
but I get an error message (#Div/0!). I don't know enough yet about pivot
tables to try this method, but I am working on it.

Ken

Problems with feet an inches

Bernie, I finally figured out how to do the pivot table. You were right. It
is fairly simple. Thanks for everything.