-   -   Need advice (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/121257-need-advice.html)

Form maker

Need advice

I have a form in Excel. I want to be able to type in a work order number in a
cell (each charater in a seperate cell) and have a cell below with the same
number in it change the color of the cell. ie I type in xxy345 and on a
chart below I have 6 lines from 1to 9 followed with A to Z each in its own
cell. I want the 1st X I type in to make the cell that the x is in on the
first line turn red. The next x I type in I want the cell that has an x in it
on the 2nd line to turn red. The y I type in go to the 3rd line and the cell
with the y turn red. Is this possible?

Niek Otten

Need advice

Use Conditional Formatting

cells below your work order number.
Format|ConditionalFormatting.|Cell value Is,|equal to,|A$1 and choose your Format

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel