-   -   custom formating a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/119653-custom-formating-cell.html)

VDU

custom formating a cell

Hello, I have a problem in creating a custom format and I'm running out of
time, could you please help me.
I have a cell containing a series of concatenated formulas and text
sections.
The formula is something like this

Day(A2) &" "& Month(A2)&" - "&Day(A3)&" "&month(A3).

this displays correct in numbers unfortunately, I need to display the month
in mmm format. so that it looks like
1 Jan - 2 Jan instead of 1 1 - 2 1
Should I use a custom number format (if so then how does it looks like) or
is there a function in which I could set the format I want a section to be
displayed in (something like format(month(A3, mmm) which IMO would be usefull
if it isn't in excel yet)

Thank you.

Teethless mama

custom formating a cell

Try this:

=TEXT(A2,"d mmm")&" - "&TEXT(A3,"d mmm")

"VDU" wrote:

Hello, I have a problem in creating a custom format and I'm running out of
time, could you please help me.
I have a cell containing a series of concatenated formulas and text
sections.
The formula is something like this

Day(A2) &" "& Month(A2)&" - "&Day(A3)&" "&month(A3).

this displays correct in numbers unfortunately, I need to display the month
in mmm format. so that it looks like
1 Jan - 2 Jan instead of 1 1 - 2 1
Should I use a custom number format (if so then how does it looks like) or
is there a function in which I could set the format I want a section to be
displayed in (something like format(month(A3, mmm) which IMO would be usefull
if it isn't in excel yet)

Thank you.

VDU

custom formating a cell

Worked perfectlly, thank you. Looks like the day and month functions are
not the best options in this case.

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Try this:

=TEXT(A2,"d mmm")&" - "&TEXT(A3,"d mmm")