-   -   Polynomial Eq Parameters (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/119648-polynomial-eq-parameters.html)

Jay

Polynomial Eq Parameters

I have an x and y data set for which I want to identify the parameters
(a,b,c) in the following second order polynomial equation. What Excel
functions can do this? I can chart the data and use the trendline function,
but I want to automatically calculate the parameters in individual cells that
I can reference in another formula. Thanks, J

y = ax^2 + bx + c

--
Jay

Jay

Polynomial Eq Parameters

I would also like to be able to calculate the R-squared value for polynomial
equation as well. Same as the chart trendline feature produces, but with the
outcome in a cell rather than displayed on a chart.
--
Jay

"Jay" wrote:

I have an x and y data set for which I want to identify the parameters
(a,b,c) in the following second order polynomial equation. What Excel
functions can do this? I can chart the data and use the trendline function,
but I want to automatically calculate the parameters in individual cells that
I can reference in another formula. Thanks, J

y = ax^2 + bx + c

--
Jay

Bernard Liengme

Polynomial Eq Parameters

Use LINEST as demonstrated at
http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Jay" wrote in message
I have an x and y data set for which I want to identify the parameters
(a,b,c) in the following second order polynomial equation. What Excel
functions can do this? I can chart the data and use the trendline
function,
but I want to automatically calculate the parameters in individual cells
that
I can reference in another formula. Thanks, J

y = ax^2 + bx + c

--
Jay

Jay

Polynomial Eq Parameters

I would also like to be able to calculate the R-squared value for the
polynomial
equation. The chart trendline feature gives an R-squared, but displayed on
a chart rather than in a cell .

--
Jay

"Jay" wrote in message
I have an x and y data set for which I want to identify the parameters
(a,b,c) in the following second order polynomial equation. What Excel
functions can do this? I can chart the data and use the trendline
function,
but I want to automatically calculate the parameters in individual cells
that
I can reference in another formula. Thanks, J

y = ax^2 + bx + c

--
Jay

Mike Middleton

Polynomial Eq Parameters

Jay -

Use LINEST as suggested by Bernard. The value of R-squared is one of the
outputs of the LINEST function. See Excel's Help for details.

- Mike
http://www.mikemiddleton.com