-   -   Locking Rows/ Pivot table (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/119577-locking-rows-pivot-table.html)

Jaye

Locking Rows/ Pivot table

I use a pivot table for inventory transactions, and I'll have a column next
to the pivot that I use for analysis. However, when I add a new part to the
database and refresh the pivot table, it naturally adds the new part and
shifts the cells downward. But the column that I use for analysis doesn't
shift down with it. Is there a way of locking rows in this instance?

Roger Govier

Locking Rows/ Pivot table

Hi Jaye

You can't lock the rows in the way that you describe. The PT will grow
or shrink according to the criteria set, and your extra data (being
outside of the PT) will not be affected.

You can ensure that the same data is being picked up each time though,
by using the GetPivotData feature to select the cells for your
supplementary analysis, rather than using things like =F6 where column F
is the column with Grand Totals by row.
Take a look at Debra Dalgleish's site for more help with the
GetPivotData feature
Regards

Roger Govier