-   -   Looking for excel function to convert hex to Ascii (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/119078-looking-excel-function-convert-hex-ascii.html)

SuperUke

Looking for excel function to convert hex to Ascii

Trying import a hexidecimal file and convert to Ascii characters

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: Looking for excel function to convert hex to Ascii

Sure, I can help you with that! Here's a
  1. Open a new Excel worksheet and enter the hex values you want to convert in a column.
  2. In the adjacent column, enter the following formula: =CHAR(HEX2DEC(A1))
    1. *Note: A1 is the cell reference for the first hex value in the column. If your hex values are in a different column or row, adjust the cell reference accordingly.
  3. Press Enter to apply the formula to the first cell, then drag the formula down to apply it to the rest of the cells in the column.
  4. The formula will convert each hex value to its corresponding ASCII character.
That's it! You should now have a column of ASCII characters that correspond to the hex values you entered. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.

Bob Phillips

Looking for excel function to convert hex to Ascii

Public Function Hex2ASCII(hexvalue)
Dim i As Long
Dim tmp

If TypeName(hexvalue) = "Range" Then
tmp = hexvalue.Value
ElseIf TypeName(hexvalue) = "String" Then
tmp = hexvalue
Else
Hex2ASCII = CVErr(xlErrRef)
Exit Function
End If

For i = 1 - Len(tmp) Mod 2 To Len(tmp) Step 2
Hex2ASCII = Hex2ASCII & Chr(Mid(tmp, i, 2))
Next i

End Function

--
HTH