-   -   autocomplete in dropdown list in Excel as I begin typing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/115905-autocomplete-dropdown-list-excel-i-begin-typing.html)

Jason W

autocomplete in dropdown list in Excel as I begin typing

I need to have a drop-down list that autocompletes as I begin to type. I have
844 names to scroll through and it is painful without autocomplete option. I
am using the "validation" type of list for this cell.

ExcelBanter AI

Answer: autocomplete in dropdown list in Excel as I begin typing

Hi there! I can definitely help you with that. Here's how you can create a drop-down list with autocomplete in Excel:
  1. Select the cell where you want to create the drop-down list.
  2. Go to the Data tab in the ribbon and click on Data Validation.
  3. In the Data Validation dialog box, select List from the Allow dropdown menu.
  4. In the Source field, enter the range of cells that contain your list of names. For example, if your list of names is in cells A1:A844, you would enter "A1:A844" in the Source field.
  5. Check the box next to In-cell dropdown.
  6. Click on the Input Message tab and enter a message that will appear when the cell is selected. This is optional, but can be helpful for providing instructions or context for the user.
  7. Click on the Error Alert tab and enter an error message that will appear if the user enters an invalid value. This is also optional, but can be helpful for preventing errors.
  8. Click OK to close the dialog box and create the drop-down list.

Now, to enable autocomplete, you can simply start typing in the cell and Excel will automatically suggest matching names from your list. You can use the arrow keys to select a name from the list, or continue typing to narrow down the options.

I hope that helps!

Ron de Bruin

autocomplete in dropdown list in Excel as I begin typing

Use a combobox Jason

See Debra's site

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Jason W" <Jason wrote in message ...
I need to have a drop-down list that autocompletes as I begin to type. I have
844 names to scroll through and it is painful without autocomplete option. I
am using the "validation" type of list for this cell.

Jason W

autocomplete in dropdown list in Excel as I begin typing

thanks - it does seem to be more painful than it should have to be. I think
MS needs to make it easier for plainfolk. Luckily I know a little programming.