-   -   sequential number code (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/115844-sequential-number-code.html)

becky42002

sequential number code

I am using the following function to create some sequential numbering:

=TEXT(ROW(A1), "W2-0000")

The problem I am having is when I try to change the W2 to H (or some other
letters) the formula no longer works and I get #VALUE!.

Does anyone know what might cause this and how to correct it? It seems like
changing only certain letters create the error.

Jim Thomlinson

sequential number code

Certain letters correspond to specific formatting options. H stand for hour.
Why not just remove the letters something like this...

="W2-" & TEXT(ROW(A1), "0000")

--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"becky42002" wrote:

I am using the following function to create some sequential numbering:

=TEXT(ROW(A1), "W2-0000")

The problem I am having is when I try to change the W2 to H (or some other
letters) the formula no longer works and I get #VALUE!.

Does anyone know what might cause this and how to correct it? It seems like
changing only certain letters create the error.

Dave F

sequential number code

Interesting.

Replacing W with A, C, works but replacing W with B, D doesn't. Wonder if
that pattern repeats for the entire alphabet.

Dave
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"becky42002" wrote:

I am using the following function to create some sequential numbering:

=TEXT(ROW(A1), "W2-0000")

The problem I am having is when I try to change the W2 to H (or some other
letters) the formula no longer works and I get #VALUE!.

Does anyone know what might cause this and how to correct it? It seems like
changing only certain letters create the error.

Jim Thomlinson

sequential number code

D is Day. B is ???
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"becky42002" wrote:

I am using the following function to create some sequential numbering:

=TEXT(ROW(A1), "W2-0000")

The problem I am having is when I try to change the W2 to H (or some other
letters) the formula no longer works and I get #VALUE!.

Does anyone know what might cause this and how to correct it? It seems like
changing only certain letters create the error.

Dave F

sequential number code

I don't know. This is the first time I've seen this...
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

D is Day. B is ???
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"becky42002" wrote:

I am using the following function to create some sequential numbering:

=TEXT(ROW(A1), "W2-0000")

The problem I am having is when I try to change the W2 to H (or some other
letters) the formula no longer works and I get #VALUE!.

Does anyone know what might cause this and how to correct it? It seems like
changing only certain letters create the error.

Bob Phillips

sequential number code

=TEXT(ROW(A1),"\H-0000")

--