-   -   How do I format a value when using it within a cell reference tha. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/11491-how-do-i-format-value-when-using-within-cell-reference-tha.html)

packmule

How do I format a value when using it within a cell reference tha.

I have a value in Cell B1 that is expressed as dollars such as $52,344. I
would like to format this value within a formula that returns text. For
example in Cell B2, I would put ="The sum that is in Cell B1 is "&b1&"."

Now I want the value in B1 to be reflected within the results of my formula.
I want the result to read: The sum that is in Cell B1 is $52,344.

How do I do this?

Bob Phillips

="The sum that is in Cell B1 is "&TEXT(b1,$#,##0.00")&"."

--

HTH

RP

"packmule" wrote in message
I have a value in Cell B1 that is expressed as dollars such as $52,344. I
would like to format this value within a formula that returns text. For
example in Cell B2, I would put ="The sum that is in Cell B1 is "&b1&"."

Now I want the value in B1 to be reflected within the results of my

formula.
I want the result to read: The sum that is in Cell B1 is $52,344.

How do I do this?

Dave R.

Use the TEXT function,

"packmule" wrote in message
I have a value in Cell B1 that is expressed as dollars such as $52,344. I
would like to format this value within a formula that returns text. For
example in Cell B2, I would put ="The sum that is in Cell B1 is "&b1&"."

Now I want the value in B1 to be reflected within the results of my

formula.
I want the result to read: The sum that is in Cell B1 is $52,344.

How do I do this?

packmule

Thanks to both of you. This is exactly what I needed.

"packmule" wrote in message
I have a value in Cell B1 that is expressed as dollars such as $52,344. I
would like to format this value within a formula that returns text. For
example in Cell B2, I would put ="The sum that is in Cell B1 is "&b1&"."

Now I want the value in B1 to be reflected within the results of my

formula.
I want the result to read: The sum that is in Cell B1 is $52,344.

How do I do this?

AndreasN

Correction:
="The sum that is in Cell B1 is "&DOLLAR(B1;3)&"."