-   -   need help with excel formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/114137-need-help-excel-formula.html)

Pat

need help with excel formula

I need a formula that determines which value to accept: I want:

If A7A1, then A7; but if A7<A1, then A1

I've been fooling with it for hours. Can you help?

Elkar

need help with excel formula

You could use the MAX function. It will return the largest value.

=MAX(A1,A7)

You could also use an IF function.

=IF(A7A1,A7,A1)

HTH,
Elkar

"Pat" wrote:

I need a formula that determines which value to accept: I want:

If A7A1, then A7; but if A7<A1, then A1

I've been fooling with it for hours. Can you help?

Pat

need help with excel formula

Thank you! One more quick question: I need to hold one of the cells (A1)
constant in the formula so I can copy it throughout the worksheet. I know
you can use a "#" sign somewhere within the formula to make this happen.
Where do I put it?

"Pat" wrote:

I need a formula that determines which value to accept: I want:

If A7A1, then A7; but if A7<A1, then A1

I've been fooling with it for hours. Can you help?

Gary L Brown

need help with excel formula

=MAX($A$1,A7)
HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this
Post Helpfull to you?''.

"Pat" wrote:

I need a formula that determines which value to accept: I want:

If A7A1, then A7; but if A7<A1, then A1

I've been fooling with it for hours. Can you help?

David Biddulph

"Pat" wrote in message
I need a formula that determines which value to accept: I want:

If A7A1, then A7; but if A7<A1, then A1

I've been fooling with it for hours. Can you help?

You haven't said what you want if A1=A7 but I'll assume that you're happy
with the output being the common input value.

=IF(A7A1,A7,A1)
or
=MAX(A1,A7)
--
David Biddulph

Elkar

need help with excel formula

Actually, it's the $ symbol.

$A$1 will cause A1 to remain unchanged when copied. $A1 would cause only
the column portion of A1 to remain unchanged. And likewise, A$1 would cause
only the row portion of A1 to remain unchanged.

HTH,
Elkar

"Pat" wrote:

I need a formula that determines which value to accept: I want:

If A7A1, then A7; but if A7<A1, then A1

I've been fooling with it for hours. Can you help?

daddylonglegs

need help with excel formula

It's a $ sign. Try

=MAX($A$1,A7)

"Pat" wrote:

I need a formula that determines which value to accept: I want:

If A7A1, then A7; but if A7<A1, then A1

I've been fooling with it for hours. Can you help?

Toppers

need help with excel formula

$A$1 will keep the reference to A1 as a "constant" (or "absolute" to use the
correct teminology) address.

HTH