-   -   cannot enter correct numbers in cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/113333-cannot-enter-correct-numbers-cells.html)

JB

cannot enter correct numbers in cells

Every time I enter a number in a cell and click enter I get a date format or
a string of numbers. I format the cell and the same thing happens. What is
causing this?

steveK

cannot enter correct numbers in cells

Have you tried selecting the cell, then going to menueditclearall?

jb wrote:
Every time I enter a number in a cell and click enter I get a date format or
a string of numbers. I format the cell and the same thing happens. What is
causing this?

Gord Dibben

cannot enter correct numbers in cells

jb

A samll example of the type of numbers you are entering would be handy.

And a small example of what they turn into when you hit enter.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP