-   -   is there a formula out there? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/11315-there-formula-out-there.html)

lynn

is there a formula out there?

I have list of numbers (approx 350) that is five digits long. Is it possible
to use a formula to extract the 1st, 3rd and 4th digits from these numbers
and make another list. (ie. 12345 becomes 134, there are '0's starting and
ending some of the numbers)

George Nicholson

=LEFT(A2,1) & MID(A2,3,1) & MID(A2,4,1)

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"lynn" wrote in message
I have list of numbers (approx 350) that is five digits long. Is it
possible
to use a formula to extract the 1st, 3rd and 4th digits from these numbers
and make another list. (ie. 12345 becomes 134, there are '0's starting
and
ending some of the numbers)

Tim C

=LEFT(A2,1) & MID(A2,3,2)

Tim C

"George Nicholson" wrote:

=LEFT(A2,1) & MID(A2,3,1) & MID(A2,4,1)

HTH,
--

"lynn" wrote in message
I have list of numbers (approx 350) that is five digits long. Is it
possible
to use a formula to extract the 1st, 3rd and 4th digits from these
numbers
and make another list. (ie. 12345 becomes 134, there are '0's starting
and ending some of the numbers)

Bob Phillips

Use DataText to Columns to split the numbers. You can specify the split
point as fixed points, each digit in your case.

--

HTH

RP