Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default 15+ digit numbers

When entering numbers with more than 15 digits all the digits after the 15th
place automatically change to zeros.

It doesn't matter what the colum width is, the cell format is number, 0
decimal, no commas. If I change the format to text all the digits hold as
entered. Why don't they hold as entered when formated as numbers

example: I enter 1231231234567123456 the number changes
to 1231231234567120000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A better question might be what kind of a mathematical calculation are you
doing on a number that is 1.2 Quintillion where you actually care about the
last couple of digits? When you are calculating the distance from here to
that stars a couple of miles either way really does not make any
difference... There is just too much overhead in trying to calculate a number
with 15+ significant digits.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"LisaS" wrote:

When entering numbers with more than 15 digits all the digits after the 15th
place automatically change to zeros.

It doesn't matter what the colum width is, the cell format is number, 0
decimal, no commas. If I change the format to text all the digits hold as
entered. Why don't they hold as entered when formated as numbers

example: I enter 1231231234567123456 the number changes
to 1231231234567120000

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

At last the right answer :)
I've only ever wanted more when I was trying to calculate powers of 2 -
that was back in the late 60's

Steve

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:28:01 +0100, Jim Thomlinson
wrote:

A better question might be what kind of a mathematical calculation are
you
doing on a number that is 1.2 Quintillion where you actually care about
the
last couple of digits? When you are calculating the distance from here to
that stars a couple of miles either way really does not make any
difference... There is just too much overhead in trying to calculate a
number
with 15+ significant digits.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If you really need to record more than 15 digits (eg for a credit card
number, or some account numbers), then you must enter these as text,
either by pre-formatting the cell as text or by typing an apostrophe
before the number when you enter it - the apostrophe will not show in
the cell, but it is visible in the formula bar.

As these are text values, you will not be able to do any normal
arithmetic on them, but then, who wants to take 10 percent (say) of a
credit card number?

Hope this helps.

Pete