-   -   VLOOKUP return text not date (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/111969-vlookup-return-text-not-date.html)

Paul Dennis

VLOOKUP return text not date

I am using VLOOKUP to return a date, however it returns the number of the
date, rather than the date. I know that Excel stores dates as numbers, hence
how do I get around this?

Alan

VLOOKUP return text not date

All you need to do is to format the cell containing the VLOOKUP formula as a
date,
Regards,
Alan.
"Paul Dennis" wrote in message
I am using VLOOKUP to return a date, however it returns the number of the
date, rather than the date. I know that Excel stores dates as numbers,
hence
how do I get around this?

Roger Govier

VLOOKUP return text not date

Hi Paul

Either
Format the cell returning the formula as your own choice of Date format
FormatCellsNumberCustom dd mmm yyyy for example
Or
If you are using the result of the Vlookup as part of some further text
string, then
=TEXT(your_vlookup_formula,"dd mmm yyyy")
--
Regards

Roger Govier

"Paul Dennis" wrote in message
I am using VLOOKUP to return a date, however it returns the number of
the
date, rather than the date. I know that Excel stores dates as numbers,
hence
how do I get around this?

Stefi

VLOOKUP return text not date