-   -   an if( statement looking for a specific phrase anywhere in a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/111542-if-statement-looking-specific-phrase-anywhere-cell.html)

Bob Phillips

an if( statement looking for a specific phrase anywhere in a cell

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(A1,"abc")),"found","not found")

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ozarksons" wrote in message
I want to have an if( statement evaluate a cell and see if it contains a
certain text word or phrase, anywhere in the cell, and if so perform x ,

if
not y.

ozarksons

an if( statement looking for a specific phrase anywhere in a cell

I want to have an if( statement evaluate a cell and see if it contains a
certain text word or phrase, anywhere in the cell, and if so perform x , if
not y.

ozarksons

an if( statement looking for a specific phrase anywhere in a c

Great answer, thanks except you had it backwards...
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("abc",A1)),"found","not found")

"ozarksons" wrote in message
I want to have an if( statement evaluate a cell and see if it contains a
certain text word or phrase, anywhere in the cell, and if so perform x ,

if
not y.

Bob Phillips

an if( statement looking for a specific phrase anywhere in a c

I keep getting that wrong <g

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ozarksons" wrote in message
I want to have an if( statement evaluate a cell and see if it contains

certain text word or phrase, anywhere in the cell, and if so perform x

,
if
not y.