-   -   Cell shows formula eg ='Sheet21'!F3 instead of result (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/110828-cell-shows-formula-eg-%3Dsheet21-f3-instead-result.html)

mikehutt

Cell shows formula eg ='Sheet21'!F3 instead of result

I have a problem where when I insert a formula such as ='Sheet21'!F3, the
cell shows the formula, instead of the result. This isn't consistent
apparently. I have managed to copy the formula from another cell that works,
but when I then change the cell ref (e.g F3 to F4 in the above example), the
cell displays the formula again, instead of the result. Cell format is
"Text". Is this a cell formatting issue??

Niek Otten

Cell shows formula eg ='Sheet21'!F3 instead of result

<Is this a cell formatting issue??

Yes. Format as General and re-enter the formula (F2, ENTER)

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel