-   -   Inverse Table Lookup (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/110826-inverse-table-lookup.html)

Dave White

Inverse Table Lookup

Excel Lookup functions normally return a Table value based on a row,column
search criteria. I need to return the row, column based on the table value.

Any ideas Appreciated,
Thanks in Advance

Bernard Liengme

Inverse Table Lookup

LOOKUP?
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Dave White" wrote in message
Excel Lookup functions normally return a Table value based on a row,column
search criteria. I need to return the row, column based on the table
value.

Any ideas Appreciated,
Thanks in Advance

Dave White

Inverse Table Lookup

No. Respectfully, I do not think you understand what I need.

I need a function that returns the ROW, COL position (better word) of a
TABLE value.

LOOKUP gives me the TABLE value of a ROW, COL position.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

LOOKUP?
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Dave White" wrote in message
Excel Lookup functions normally return a Table value based on a row,column
search criteria. I need to return the row, column based on the table
value.

Any ideas Appreciated,
Thanks in Advance

Herbert Seidenberg

Inverse Table Lookup

If your Table is a named array of unique numbers and letters
and your named column and row headers are numbers then find
the column/row of a certain LookupValue with
=SUMPRODUCT((Table=LookupValue)*(ColumnHeader))
=SUMPRODUCT((Table=LookupValue)*(RowHeader))
If LookupValue is text, add " ", like "LookupText"
If the column/row headers are letters or names,
add numbered headers and use LOOKUP to translate.

Bernard Liengme

Inverse Table Lookup

Have a look at MATCH and then at INDEX
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Dave White" wrote in message
No. Respectfully, I do not think you understand what I need.

I need a function that returns the ROW, COL position (better word) of a
TABLE value.

LOOKUP gives me the TABLE value of a ROW, COL position.

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

LOOKUP?
--
Bernard V Liengme