Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Autofilter - failure to display ALL data down a column

I maintain some data in an Excel workbook as follows. It consists of 18
columns by some 3636 lines of data. We make use of Excel to maintain and
publish the given dataset, primarily because of the general familiarity and
competency of all staff concerned. The data is nothing fancy at all. One
column in particular, contains a simple 7 digit number, in each line. The
particular column cells are formatted as "text", since all numbers have a
"zero" prefix. This was the suggested route, in order that Excel can actually
display the zero, which it normally ignores.

To facilitate the easy search & displaying of any given row(s), I make use
of applying the "Autofilter" functionality, believing it would provide the
user with a quick and easy means of data retrieval. Recently, I came to find
out that the autofilter in fact failed to reflect ALL data values down a
particular column of my worksheet. At first I didnt believe it, but after
several checks, verified this "anomaly".

The questions I now wish to pose is as follows. Am I doing something wrong
here, or am I simply exceeding the capability of the "autofilter" ?

I obviously can not allow the situation to persist, as my users will
potentially miss important data as a result.

I would therefore be much obliged if someone can provide me with some
relevant and effective advice in resolving my problem.

Kind regards
Maurice

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

The limit in the autofilter dropdown is 1000

Try MVP Debra D's page at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html
which provides some cool workarounds
--