-   -   Text String Seperation. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/108596-text-string-seperation.html)

[email protected]

Text String Seperation.

I need to take a text string that has a Stock Option description in a
text string (i.e. ADM Dec 2006 40.0000 put). I want to divide up the
text string and have each word in its own cell. I can not figure out
how to do it. Problems arise b/c the stock symbol can have one to four
characters (i.e. X or MSFT).

What is the best way to do it so it automatically does it? I would
prefer to use some sort of function that counts the spaces and gives
the next word or something like that.

I realize I can use the Text-to-columns but I really want to automate
tha step so the uses of my spreadsheet dont have to go deeper than the
first worksheet.

DM

Gord Dibben

Text String Seperation.

Same people monitor this news group as excel.misc where you received a few
answers.

No point in posting the same question more than once.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On 5 Sep 2006 10:55:37 -0700, wrote:

I need to take a text string that has a Stock Option description in a
text string (i.e. ADM Dec 2006 40.0000 put). I want to divide up the
text string and have each word in its own cell. I can not figure out
how to do it. Problems arise b/c the stock symbol can have one to four
characters (i.e. X or MSFT).

What is the best way to do it so it automatically does it? I would
prefer to use some sort of function that counts the spaces and gives
the next word or something like that.

I realize I can use the Text-to-columns but I really want to automate
tha step so the uses of my spreadsheet dont have to go deeper than the
first worksheet.

DM

[email protected]

Text String Seperation.