-   -   Why does the data shift out my outline when I refresh the Pivot table? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/108361-why-does-data-shift-out-my-outline-when-i-refresh-pivot-table.html)

Chris

Why does the data shift out my outline when I refresh the Pivot table?

I tried outlining my detail information and I want to show the first
and last line of my detail information. It is broken down by Customer,
detail next customer next detatil. When I close the grouping, It shows
Customer and then the last line is customer total.

The problem I am having is when I refresh the pivot table and get more
data, the data shifts out of the outlines, I originally created. Is
this something I am stuck with redoing the outlines when new data is
added or is their a way to prevent it.

Regards,

Chris

Debra Dalgleish

Why does the data shift out my outline when I refresh the Pivottable?

As answered in microsoft.public.excel.misc:

If new items appear in the pivot table, they won't automatically be
included in manually created groups. Perhaps you could create a new
column in the source data, and enter the group name there, or use a
formula to lookup the group in a table.

Then, add that new field to the pivot table, and use it instead of the
manually created groups.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures