-   -   Can I do two validations on a cell? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/108058-can-i-do-two-validations-cell.html)

[email protected]

Can I do two validations on a cell?

I have a validation on a cell which is bringing a list of code numbers. At
the same time in the same cell, I will like the names related to this codes
to show for users to be able to identify the name of these codes. How can I
do this?

Example:

List of codes Name of codes
15 Human Resource
33 Training

On the validation cell right now the list of codes is showing up, I want to
have the name of these codes showing as well when people are choosing the
code.

Debra Dalgleish

Can I do two validations on a cell?

You can do this with data validation and programming. There's a sample
file he

Under Data Validation, look for 'DV0005 - Data Validation "Columns"'

wrote:
I have a validation on a cell which is bringing a list of code numbers. At
the same time in the same cell, I will like the names related to this codes
to show for users to be able to identify the name of these codes. How can I
do this?

Example:

List of codes Name of codes

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Max

Can I do two validations on a cell?

Here's one play to achieve this
using a combo box from the control toolbox toolbar ..

A sample construct is available at:
http://cjoint.com/?jbdYVnd81t
Combo box from control toolbox toolbar_example_2.xls
[ Link is good for 14 days ]

Assume source data is in Sheet1!A1:B3

List of codes Name of codes
15 Human Resource
33 Training

In say, Sheet2,
Draw a combo box from the control toolbox toolbar
Right-click on the combo box Properties

Set the properties of the combo box to:
ListFillRange: Sheet1!A2:B3
LinkedCell: B2
BoundColumn: 1
ColumnCount: 2
ColumnHeads: True

Click "Exit Design Mode" on the Control Toolbox toolbar, and test it out.
The combo box droplist will display both codes & names list as desired.
Selecting the code will place it into the link cell: B2.

--
Max
Singapore
" wrote:
I have a validation on a cell which is bringing a list of code numbers. At
the same time in the same cell, I will like the names related to this codes
to show for users to be able to identify the name of these codes. How can I
do this?

Example:

List of codes Name of codes
15 Human Resource
33 Training

On the validation cell right now the list of codes is showing up, I want to
have the name of these codes showing as well when people are choosing the
code.

shail

Can I do two validations on a cell?

Hi,

You can achieve this with this too..

1. In a column which will never be accessed by anyone else. Let this be
hidden.
2. Write a formula to concatenate the two values. Say,

=A1&" --- "&B1

3. Copy down till you need the two values to be concatenated.
4. Name the list Insert/Name/Define
4. Make a dropdown list which is named by you just now.

Hope this will help you.

Thanks,

Shail

wrote:
I have a validation on a cell which is bringing a list of code numbers. At
the same time in the same cell, I will like the names related to this codes
to show for users to be able to identify the name of these codes. How can I
do this?

Example:

List of codes Name of codes