-   -   How change days of change history tracking? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/106774-how-change-days-change-history-tracking.html)

DonSpmp

How change days of change history tracking?

I am trying to use the Track Changes feature in Excel. When I save a
document where I have turned on Track Changes, it loses the tracking. There
is no evidence that the changes were being tracked when I open the file
again.

I want to be able to review any changes for at least 2 weeks. The Microsoft
Office Assistance help titled "About tracking changes" says "History is kept
only for a set interval" then goes on to say this interval can be changed.

The problem is it does not say where I can view and potentially change that
interval. What do I need to do to use and modify this feature?

MarkN

How change days of change history tracking?

Tools, Share Workbook... and click on the Advanced tab. Set the days in the
Keep change history setting as required.
--
Hope this helps,
MarkN

"DonSpmp" wrote:

I am trying to use the Track Changes feature in Excel. When I save a
document where I have turned on Track Changes, it loses the tracking. There
is no evidence that the changes were being tracked when I open the file
again.

I want to be able to review any changes for at least 2 weeks. The Microsoft
Office Assistance help titled "About tracking changes" says "History is kept
only for a set interval" then goes on to say this interval can be changed.

The problem is it does not say where I can view and potentially change that
interval. What do I need to do to use and modify this feature?

DonSpmp

How change days of change history tracking?

Thanks MarkN. I found the settings you described but they were grayed out.
The faint font showed the default was 30 days. Now I am at a loss why the
cells where I originally had "Track Changes" showing the cell corner mark
plus the hover pop-up disappear after saving then closing the file. When I
open it up again it is like I never had turned on "Track Changes." Ideas?

DonSpmp

"DonSpmp" wrote:

I am trying to use the Track Changes feature in Excel. When I save a
document where I have turned on Track Changes, it loses the tracking. There
is no evidence that the changes were being tracked when I open the file
again.

I want to be able to review any changes for at least 2 weeks. The Microsoft
Office Assistance help titled "About tracking changes" says "History is kept
only for a set interval" then goes on to say this interval can be changed.

The problem is it does not say where I can view and potentially change that
interval. What do I need to do to use and modify this feature?

MarkN

How change days of change history tracking?

Tracked changes in Excel requires a workbook to be shared. When you select
Tools, Share Workbook and look at the Editing tab, is there a tick in the
"Allow changes by more..." option. If not, put a tick in the box (and save
the workbook), you can then go to the Advanced tab and change the keep change
history option.

Once this is on, you can display the changes using Tools, Track Changes and
then selecting what changes you want to display or show all changes in the
change history period on a separate sheet.
--
Hope this helps,
MarkN