-   -   sums are wrong (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/105928-sums-wrong.html)

Kevin Andrien

sums are wrong

I have two cells that contain functions that return numbers. The cells are
formatted as numbers, and display as numbers. When I try to sum these two
cells the answer is wrong. The SUM cell is also formatted as a number.
Embarrassed to say I've been programming for 40 years and can't get by this!

Marcelo

sums are wrong

Hi what means Wrong?

another result? #value?

--
regards from Brazil
Thanks in advance for your feedback.

"Kevin Andrien" escreveu:

I have two cells that contain functions that return numbers. The cells are
formatted as numbers, and display as numbers. When I try to sum these two
cells the answer is wrong. The SUM cell is also formatted as a number.
Embarrassed to say I've been programming for 40 years and can't get by this!

Desert Piranha

sums are wrong

Kevin Andrien Wrote:
I have two cells that contain functions that return numbers. The cells
are
formatted as numbers, and display as numbers. When I try to sum these
two
cells the answer is wrong. The SUM cell is also formatted as a
number.
Embarrassed to say I've been programming for 40 years and can't get by
this!Hi Kevin,

Without knowing any details, is Excel "rounding" the data that goes
into the SUM cell??

--
Desert Piranha

Desert Piranha's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28934
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=573283

Ron Rosenfeld

sums are wrong

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 14:43:02 -0700, Kevin Andrien <Kevin
wrote:

I have two cells that contain functions that return numbers. The cells are
formatted as numbers, and display as numbers. When I try to sum these two
cells the answer is wrong. The SUM cell is also formatted as a number.
Embarrassed to say I've been programming for 40 years and can't get by this!

SUM will add the values that are actually in the cell, not necessarily what you
see displayed.

1.44
1.24
1.34

Formatted to number with one decimal place:

1.4
1.2
1.3

But SUM will -- 4.0 (4.02 rounded to one decimal) and not 3.9

--ron