-   -   create dropdown menu (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/10577-create-dropdown-menu.html)

Anthony

create dropdown menu

Hi,
can anybody advise (or direct me to basic creation site) where I can create
a dropdown menu in excel.

the menu will hold seveal options ie Food, Drink, Price etc and I want the
user to be able to select one of the options and once chosen a specific excel
worksheet will be opened for this topic.

thanks

Anthony

JulieD

Hi Anthony

by drop down menu do you mean one like File / Edit / View on the menu bar or
in a cell in a workbook.

If you want the file / edit / view type probably the easiest way to it is to
record a different macro opening each of the specific workbooks and then use
view / toolbars / customise to drag a new menu item onto the toolbar, and
then drag one for each item and assign the appropriate macro to it.

if you want a drop down list in a cell - you could use data validation to
create the drop down (check out
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal01.html ) and then use a
worksheet_change event to open the appropriate book, e.g.

If Target.Address = "$E$4" And Target.Value < "" Then
Select Case Target.Value
Case "food"
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\My Documents\food.xls"
Case "drink"
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\My Documents\drink.xls"
Case "price"
Workbooks.Open Filename:="C:\My Documents\price.xls"
End Select

---

Hope this helps, please post back if you require further information.

Cheers
JulieD