-   -   Replace function into text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/104888-replace-function-into-text.html)

Álvaro

Replace function into text

Hi all, I have very long document names listed in column A, which are NOT
coded, and the names of the documents have somewhere in the them the
following text:"P -". the thing is that the amount of characters to the right
or letf is not always the same, and I would like to copy in th B column the
same names but having the "P -" replaced by an "F -". I need this to be a
funcion and not to use the replace command.

Thanks you all for your help
Álvaro

David Billigmeier

Replace function into text

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"P -","F -")

Dave

"Álvaro" wrote:

Hi all, I have very long document names listed in column A, which are NOT
coded, and the names of the documents have somewhere in the them the
following text:"P -". the thing is that the amount of characters to the right
or letf is not always the same, and I would like to copy in th B column the
same names but having the "P -" replaced by an "F -". I need this to be a
funcion and not to use the replace command.

Thanks you all for your help
Álvaro

Miguel Zapico

Replace function into text

You may use the SUBSTITUTE function, something like:
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"P -","F -")

Hope this helps,
Miguel.

"Álvaro" wrote:

Hi all, I have very long document names listed in column A, which are NOT
coded, and the names of the documents have somewhere in the them the
following text:"P -". the thing is that the amount of characters to the right
or letf is not always the same, and I would like to copy in th B column the
same names but having the "P -" replaced by an "F -". I need this to be a
funcion and not to use the replace command.

Thanks you all for your help
Álvaro

Álvaro

Replace function into text

Hi David,thanks so much for your quick response!!!
it worked perfectly!!!!
Saludos
álvaro

"David Billigmeier" wrote:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"P -","F -")

Dave

"Álvaro" wrote:

Hi all, I have very long document names listed in column A, which are NOT
coded, and the names of the documents have somewhere in the them the
following text:"P -". the thing is that the amount of characters to the right
or letf is not always the same, and I would like to copy in th B column the
same names but having the "P -" replaced by an "F -". I need this to be a
funcion and not to use the replace command.

Thanks you all for your help
Álvaro

Álvaro

Replace function into text

Hola Miguel , thanks so much for your quick response!!!
it worked perfectly!!!!
Saludos
álvaro