Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default In Excel, conditional format (font red) referencing another cell?

I want to do a conditional format to make cell A1 have red font if cell B1 is
equal to a certain value (text). Can I do a conditional format on a cell
referencing another cell?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Never mind. Thank you Dave Peterson. Your response to an earlier posting is
exactly what I needed.

"Christine Hemphill" wrote:

I want to do a conditional format to make cell A1 have red font if cell B1 is
equal to a certain value (text). Can I do a conditional format on a cell
referencing another cell?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default In Excel, conditional format (font red) referencing another ce

Thank you!!! I just found that answer on another posting. Thank you so much
for your speedy help!!!

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dear SteveG

I don't understand how to change the cell value is option to formula is.
Can you explain more specifically ?

Thanks in advance.

Peter

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you know how to do this in the newest version of Excel? The closest thing
I can find there is an option to decide *which*cell to format based on a
formula, but what I really want to do is use a gradient scale based on value
in a different column. Thanks for your help.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Click on the dropdown arrow at FormatCFCondition1 "Cell Value is"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can you be be more specific? Need more detail.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Christine<

In Excell 2007, I want to be able to set a formula for a single cell (c3)
such that it turns red when its numerical contents are =not(a1+b1 = c3) and
the cell turns green when its numerical contents =(a1+b1=c3). How do I set
both of these condiions for a single cell in Excel 2007?

Thanks,

Karen

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select cell C3

Goto Home tabStylesConditional FormattingManage Rules

Click New RuleUse a formula to determine...
Format values where this formula is true:
=AND(COUNT(A1,B1,C3)=3,C3<A1+B1)
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OKOK
Click New Rule again and repeat the above proccess for the second
condition. Use this formula:
=AND(COUNT(A1,B1,C3)=3,C3=A1+B1)

Then, OKOKApplyOK

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff,

Thanks, but I'm not clear why the command now needs to include the
AND(COUNT(a1,b1,c3)=3 statement prior to what used to be the =(c3=a1 +b1)
statement.

What are we now telling Excel to do in that first portion of the statement?

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It means that you won't apply the format unless all 3 cells have values in
them. If the cells (or some of them) are emplty, it won't try to do the
formatting. If you want the CF test doing regardless of blank cells, then
omit that part of the formula.
--
David Biddulph

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm assuming *all 3 cells* require a numeric entry.

AND(COUNT(A1,B1,C3)=3 makes sure there are in fact 3 numbers in those cells.

If certain combinations of cells are empty without the test for COUNT the
format could be applied. I assume you don't want a cell colored if it's
empty?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David,

Thanks. Is there a particular edition of an instructional book for Excel
2007 that you would recommend? I wasn't real thrilled with the one I had for
Excel 2003, but at least the Help facility in Excel 2003 was a whole lot
better than the Help facility within Excel 2007. Thank God you and others
here are so helpful.

Karen

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David,

You're using an instructional book for Excel 2003 to use Excel 2007? I find
the functionalities to be very different, e.g., one never had to have Excel
count the cells and make sure thre was something in each each in order to get
conditiobal formatting to work.
Maybe I didn't understand your meaning.

Thanks,

Karen

"David Biddulph" wrote:

No. I'm still using 2003.
--
David Biddulph

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

No. I'm still using Excel 2003. What I have read on this group hasn't
encouraged me to change.
--
David Biddulph

"KMorris" wrote in message
David,

You're using an instructional book for Excel 2003 to use Excel 2007? I
find
the functionalities to be very different, e.g., one never had to have
Excel
count the cells and make sure thre was something in each each in order to
get
conditiobal formatting to work.
Maybe I didn't understand your meaning.

Thanks,

Karen

"David Biddulph" wrote:

No. I'm still using 2003.
--
David Biddulph

=

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value
is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

David,

I'm not keen on using Excel 2007 either. However, I have a client who has
already made the switch-over to Excel 2007, and I would like to get my hands
on a well-written manual for Excel 2007 (the Help section is not as good as
in Excel 2003) and also be able to recommend something specific that staff
here consider purchasing in order to have a reference tool when using Excel
2007.

Thanks,

Karen

"KMorris" wrote in message
David,

You're using an instructional book for Excel 2003 to use Excel 2007? I
find
the functionalities to be very different, e.g., one never had to have
Excel
count the cells and make sure thre was something in each each in order to
get
conditiobal formatting to work.
Maybe I didn't understand your meaning.

Thanks,

Karen

"David Biddulph" wrote:

No. I'm still using 2003.
--
David Biddulph

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value
is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff,

I'm trying to add an ActiveX control Text Box to a sheet form in Excel 2007.
I can add the ActiveX Text Box control from the Developer menu "Insert" set
of ActiveX choices, and then I can go into properties and set the "Linked"
property to a particular cell in the spreadsheet. This works dandy, as when
I type anything in the "Data," "Text" property within the properties setup, I
see the text populating into the Linked Cell I designated. What has me
totally stumped is that once I close the properties box and go back to the
sheet form, I cannot--as a user--type anything into the text box. Every time
I click on it, the ActiveX box simply behaves as though it is an object. The
point of my putting the text box there is so that users of the form can enter
text for "Other" conditions which canot be captured by other questions on the
form.

How do I get this ActiveX control Text Box to allow Input by the user typing
directly into it? For now, the ActiveX text box seems to be behaving as a
text box formatted for "display only," such as the "Home Phone" text box
label that might be situated next to another text box into which the user CAN
type their home phone number. I need to be able to format this ActiveX text
box so that the user CAN type into it.

Help!

Thanks,

Karen

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Steve,

Is there a way of using the conditional formatting method you have mentioned
below but using a different sheet in the workbook...?

I have tried conditionally formatting with 'formula is' using:
=MyWorksheet!$A$1="MyText"

But I get the error "You may not use references to other worksheets......."

Kind Regards,
Colin.

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
CDQ CDQ is offline

HI

I have a similar question to Christine's conditional formatting.

I want to to format all the cells with blue in Column D if Column C has "NA".

Think there shouldnt be an easier way than setting hundreds of lines with =
C1="NA" in every cell in column D.

Many thanks!

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can apply the formatting to a range of cells all at one time.

Assume the range you want to format is D1:D100

In Excel 2007

Select the range of cells, D1:D100
Goto Home tabStylesConditional FormattingManage rulesNew ruleUse a
formula to determine which cells to format
Enter this formula in the box below:
=C1="NA"
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

In Excel versions 2003 and earlier

Select the range of cells, D1:D100
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:
=C1="NA"
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"CDQ" wrote in message
Bilff

It works! thanks!

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ali Ali is offline

Steve,

Thank you it worked out, could I make it work for an entire column?
e.g.
Column A heading is "Country" & Column B heading is "Capital", It'd really
be a great help if certian Country's text turns to RED for example once I
type (Or from a list) capital name.

It's quite long the columns my colleagues got to look up frequently.

Ali

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You have replies at your other post

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select the blank cell..........say A1

Home tabStylesConditional FormattingManage Rules

New RuleUse a Formula to determine............

=B1=50% Format to a fill color and OK

Gord

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 11:41:04 -0800, Brian
wrote:

Ok, I was reading and I have the same issue for Excel 2007, I want to
conditionally format a blank cell, based on the % value of another cell. How
do I do that??

Thanks

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Conditional Formatting based on another cell value

Thank you for the answer, this has perplexed me for years! Your awesome!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm guessing that whoever you directed your message to will probably not
realize it was for them as you posted your thank you message in a brand new
thread rather than responding to the person you wanted to thank back in the
thread where he/she actually helped you at.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Marque" wrote in message
Thank you for the answer, this has perplexed me for years! Your awesome!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have no idea how to highlight a whole row when I have a set condition.

You see, I need to shade a row of data (8-rows of content), yellow when it
is pending, and I need to turn those rows yellow/italic when the they are NOT
approved, and I have to get those same rows to turn black and Bold when they
ARE approved. How on earth can I get the conditional formating to do that,
and can you dumb it down completely, as I have no clue how to build out
formulas at all.

My data is for what program content has rights -- so I have a wide list of
shows, producers, distributors, etc. All the legal reps will do is indicate
"Y" "N" or "P" in the cell, and then carry on down to the next cell. There
could be hundreds of rows of content... is this even possible???

help please -- I can be reached at or at

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=570036

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have data on rows 1 thru 10,
In column C the data is either "pending" or something else
I clicked the mouse on the 1 for the row header for row 1 and dragged down
to row 10; the first 10 rows are selected

I used Format | Conditional Format in Excel 2003
In Excel 2007 open the Home tab and locate the Styles group and click on
Conditional Formatting | New Rule
Is used Formula Is: =$C1="pending" and clicked the Format button to give
that row a yellow pattern and italic font
The I added another Formula Is: =$C1<"pending" and clicked the Format
button and make the pattern blue with bod font
A test shows this method worked as expected

See also Debra Dalgleish At:
http://www.contextures.com/xlCondFormat01.html
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Guys,

I am trying to set up a time reporting worksheet to incorporate conditional
formatting across a row based on the text value in the first column.

i.e.: cells A1:D1 are filled in orange when the formula (=A1="Coffee") is true

I have had no problem with that portion of the process, but I can't figure
out how to apply it to more than one row at a time, much less the entire
worksheet. The only thing I have been able to do is get all of the selected
cells to turn orange when the specific cell A1="Coffee." Is there a way to
apply the conditional formatting rule of one set of cells to others?

Is there a way to incorporate conditional formatting formulas into a
standard "IF" formula?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

What version of Excel are you using and what is the *entire* range of cells
you want this to apply to?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Brendan" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am trying to set up a time reporting worksheet to incorporate
conditional
formatting across a row based on the text value in the first column.

i.e.: cells A1:D1 are filled in orange when the formula (=A1="Coffee") is
true

I have had no problem with that portion of the process, but I can't figure
out how to apply it to more than one row at a time, much less the entire
worksheet. The only thing I have been able to do is get all of the
selected
cells to turn orange when the specific cell A1="Coffee." Is there a way
apply the conditional formatting rule of one set of cells to others?

Is there a way to incorporate conditional formatting formulas into a
standard "IF" formula?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I am using 2007, and the range is 5 sheets of about 100 rows by 5 columns. I
need the conditional formatting of each A cell to apply only to the 4 cells
to the right. I can do it by copying the formatting row by row, but I don't
5 hours to devote to that. Any suggestions?

"Brendan" wrote in message
Hi Guys,

I am trying to set up a time reporting worksheet to incorporate
conditional
formatting across a row based on the text value in the first column.

i.e.: cells A1:D1 are filled in orange when the formula (=A1="Coffee") is
true

I have had no problem with that portion of the process, but I can't figure
out how to apply it to more than one row at a time, much less the entire
worksheet. The only thing I have been able to do is get all of the
selected
cells to turn orange when the specific cell A1="Coffee." Is there a way
apply the conditional formatting rule of one set of cells to others?

Is there a way to incorporate conditional formatting formulas into a
standard "IF" formula?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can apply the formatting all at once (on one sheet at a time).

Let's assume you want to format the range A1:E100. When the cell in column A
= Coffee you want that row (A:E) to be highlighted.

First, delete any conditional formatting that you now have set for that
range. You want to start from scratch. Excel 2007 can really screw things up
if you try to "tweak" what's already there.

Select the entire range of cells A1:E100 starting from cell A1. A1 will be
the active cell. The active cell is the one cell in the selected range that
*is not shaded*. The formula used will be relative to the active cell.
Goto Home tabStylesConditional FormattingManage rulesNew ruleUse a
formula to determine which cells to format
Enter this formula in the box below:
=$A1="coffee"
Click the Format button
Select the desired style(s)
OK out

Repeat this process for the other sheets.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Brendan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Select whole row and use absolute reference to formula, like =$B$1="Your
text"
Bob Umlas

Pre-select the range before formatting.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 21:17:01 -0700, kpkammer
wrote:

Is there a way to apply this to an entire row or range?

"SteveG" wrote:

Christine,

Yes. In A1 go to Conditional Formatting. Change the Cell Value is
option to Formula is. Enter

=B1="Your Text"

Click Format, Font select the color you want. Click OK, OK.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile:
View this thread:

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Baz Baz is offline

Has to be said, Conditional Formatting in Excel 2007, whilst it might offer
more features, is alot more complex and counter-intuitive than in Excel 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have a similar issue. I have a spreadsheet where column C contains a list
of sales reps initials and the row is conditionally formatted so each set of
initials fills the cell with a specific color. ME is blue, SC is green, etc.
What I need is for Column A to match the conditional formatting in Column C
for the entire row. I know how to do it one cell at a time, but that will
take entirely too long!