-   -   MID function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/103704-mid-function.html)

BSAT Student

MID function

I need some help with this homework problem. In Column A is Last Name, Col B
is First Name. I concantenated to Col D Last Name, First Name. In Col E I
need to convert the names to First Inital. Last Name. So, for Doe, John I
need J. Doe. How can I get this done using the MID function?

Biff

MID function

Tell the instructor you don't need to use MID:

=LEFT(B2)&". "&A2

But, if you insist: (I assume you want to extract the name from column D):

=MID(D2,FIND(",",D2)+2,1)&". "&LEFT(D2,FIND(",",D2)-1)

Biff

"BSAT Student" wrote in message
I need some help with this homework problem. In Column A is Last Name, Col
is First Name. I concantenated to Col D Last Name, First Name. In Col E I
need to convert the names to First Inital. Last Name. So, for Doe, John I
need J. Doe. How can I get this done using the MID function?

BSAT Student

MID function

Thanks so much for the help. It works perfectly!!!