Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Lookup? Match? pulling rows from one spreadsheet to match a text f

Ok. I have a master worksheet that has rows containing lots of data I need.
In another worksheet, I have a short list of items I would like to select
from the master. (Master has about 5k rows, short list is approximately 90
items)
I have about 25 workbooks to sort, so I need a function to help me.
Ok, more detailed description.
Short List columns:
Name, Description

Master Columns:
Name, Description, about 35 detail columns...

What I want to do it maybe add a row as a key at the beginning of the Master
and use the Name (Distinct field) from the short list to match against the
Master. I have tried using lookup, but I think I have my parameters wrong
because I get hundreds of rows returned when I know I have less that 100 rows
in the short list.

Any help appreciated! (questions also if I'm confusing.)