-   -   pivot table not reading date formats (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/100417-pivot-table-not-reading-date-formats.html)

Todd

pivot table not reading date formats

I am building a pivot table report to sum a worksheet that has times recorded
in it. The data is formatted like this

Start Finish
Total Time
6/14/2006 12:00:00 AM 6/14/2006 1:40:00 AM
1:40

I want the pivot table to sum by month.

I can't figure out how to get this done. I put a column beside the data to
pull the date from the start times for the table. But I can't find a format
or formula that the pivot table will read the month from (other than retyping
the dates).

Help?

Thanks.

Barb Reinhardt

pivot table not reading date formats

If you want to pivot table to sum by months, you'll need to have a helper
column with the month (and possibly year)

Try:

=date(year(A1),month(A1),1) to get the first day of the month.