-   -   conditional format for text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/100239-conditional-format-text.html)

Todd

conditional format for text

I am trying to write a conditional format to check a line of text. I have

=IF(COUNTIF(A4,"*docs\budget*")<1)

to check if the words docs\budget are in a line of text and this is not
working.

Here is an example of the text.
Y:\auto\224\712\5225\01\docs\budget

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

MDubbelboer

conditional format for text

looks fine, make sure you have the true,false part at the end or else
it'll say you've entered too few arguments

--
MDubbelboer
MDubbelboer's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=36330

Tom Hutchins

conditional format for text

You don't need the IF. Try

=COUNTIF(A4,"*docs\budget*")<1

Hope this helps,

hutch

"Todd" wrote:

I am trying to write a conditional format to check a line of text. I have

=IF(COUNTIF(A4,"*docs\budget*")<1)

to check if the words docs\budget are in a line of text and this is not
working.

Here is an example of the text.
Y:\auto\224\712\5225\01\docs\budget

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

Domenic

conditional format for text

For conditional formatting, try the following...

Select A4

Format Conditional Formatting Formula Is

Enter the following formula:

=SEARCH("docs/budget",A4)

Choose your formatting

Click Ok