Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Extract segments of an array

My array of strings is already sorted from A to Z:

mySort(1) = "apples"
mySort(2) = "apricot"
mySort(3) = "banana"
mySort(4) = "beans"
mySort(5) = "bread"
mySort(6) = "donuts"
'... etc, etc..
mySort(38) = "zuchini"

Is there an easy function that can copy any alphabetical segment of the array into a new array?

For example, if I give the function input "B", it should create this new array:

myarray = Array("banana", "beans", "bread")

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Tatsujin" wrote in message
My array of strings is already sorted from A to Z:

mySort(1) = "apples"
mySort(2) = "apricot"
mySort(3) = "banana"
mySort(4) = "beans"
mySort(5) = "bread"
mySort(6) = "donuts"
'... etc, etc..
mySort(38) = "zuchini"

Is there an easy function that can copy any alphabetical segment of the
array into a new array?

For example, if I give the function input "B", it should create this new
array:

myarray = Array("banana", "beans", "bread")

Dim i as Long, k as Long
Dim myarray () As String
' code
ReDim myarray (1 To 3) ' or 0 to 2
For i = 3 To 5
k = k + 1
myarray (k) = mySort(i)
Next

There are other efficient ways to copy entire or part arrays but complicated
with string arays. The worksheet Index function would do it but not
efficient and much faster to loop as above.

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Am Fri, 5 Feb 2021 14:43:22 -0800 (PST) schrieb Tatsujin:

My array of strings is already sorted from A to Z:

mySort(1) = "apples"
mySort(2) = "apricot"
mySort(3) = "banana"
mySort(4) = "beans"
mySort(5) = "bread"
mySort(6) = "donuts"
'... etc, etc..
mySort(38) = "zuchini"

Is there an easy function that can copy any alphabetical segment of the array into a new array?

if you don't know where your searched character starts in the array you
can search the words beginnig with your expected character with Reg.Exp:

Set re = CreateObject("vbscript.regexp")
myString = Join(mySort, ", ")
'modify the first character as expected
ptrn = "b.[a-z]{1,}"

re.Pattern = ptrn
re.Global = True
re.ignoreCase = True
Set matches = re.Execute(myString)
For Each match In matches
ReDim Preserve myArray(n)
myArray(n) = match
n = n + 1
Next

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Microsoft 365 for business
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Peter T" wrote in message

Seeing Claus' reply I realise I misread your question.

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Am Sat, 6 Feb 2021 16:42:22 -0800 (PST) schrieb Tatsujin:

I changed the mysort() array to this:

mysort(1) = "apple"
mysort(2) = "apricot"
mysort(3) = "baby"
mysort(4) = "banana"
mysort(5) = "bar"
mysort(6) = "fit"

When I use the search pattern of "a", it sets myarray to this:
myarray = ["apple", "apricot", "aby", "anana"].

sorry, my bad.

to find the "a" at the beginning of the word you have to insert \bin
front of the pattern:
ptrn = "\ba[a-z]{1,}"

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Microsoft 365 for business

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Cool! That pattern works!

But how do you test when no matches are found? I think it's returning the last element of the array when I search for a letter not in the array, such as "x".
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I mean, there's an error message if I search for a missing letter in the array.

How do you test for an empty array? I thought "IsEmpty()" would work?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Saturday, February 6, 2021 at 6:30:12 PM UTC-7, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi,

The code works great! Ignore my previous post about testing for an empty array. I merely need to check the count of the variable n to determine the array size. Thanks Claus!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Saturday, February 6, 2021 at 6:30:12 PM UTC-7, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi,
Am Sat, 6 Feb 2021 16:42:22 -0800 (PST) schrieb Tatsujin:

I changed the mysort() array to this:

mysort(1) = "apple"
mysort(2) = "apricot"
mysort(3) = "baby"
mysort(4) = "banana"
mysort(5) = "bar"
mysort(6) = "fit"

When I use the search pattern of "a", it sets myarray to this:
myarray = ["apple", "apricot", "aby", "anana"].

sorry, my bad.

to find the "a" at the beginning of the word you have to insert \bin
front of the pattern:
ptrn = "\ba[a-z]{1,}"

Hi Claus. Do you know how to modify that regex pattern so that it grabs the entire string after the first matched letter?

So, if mysort(1) = "Andy is in Room #29.", then myarray(0) should have "Andy is in Room #29."

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Am Sat, 6 Feb 2021 23:06:11 -0800 (PST) schrieb Tatsujin:

Hi Claus. Do you know how to modify that regex pattern so that it grabs the entire string after the first matched letter?

So, if mysort(1) = "Andy is in Room #29.", then myarray(0) should have "Andy is in Room #29."

RegExp is for searching words or substrings in a text but not for
searching sentences.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Microsoft 365 for business

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
dpb dpb is offline

On 2/8/2021 10:46 AM, Claus Busch wrote:
Hi,

Am Sat, 6 Feb 2021 23:06:11 -0800 (PST) schrieb Tatsujin:

Hi Claus. Do you know how to modify that regex pattern so that it grabs the entire string after the first matched letter?

So, if mysort(1) = "Andy is in Room #29.", then myarray(0) should have "Andy is in Room #29."

RegExp is for searching words or substrings in a text but not for
searching sentences.

For limited definitions of what constitutes a sentence it can be done.
One stackoverflow submission of many.
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/5553410/regular-expression-match-a-sentence