Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default X Y Scatter Excel Graph X Axis Customization

Hi There

I am trying to Plot X Y Scatter Graph where I want to change the X Axis to Text i.e. Single Hook, Double Hook, Triple Hook..... ETC while the Y Axis can be 0, 50, 100, 150..... By Default X Axis takes 1,2,3 .... Can I Chage to my Desired Lable?

Please LEt me Know If the Same is Possible.

My Data is as Under.

Mooring Type Single Hook 2 Hook 3 Hook 4 Hook
extreme loads benign locn 110 132 198 264
extreme loads exposed locn 110 165 253 341
accidental load condition 129.8 231 308 385

Thanks,
Max
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Max" wrote in message

I am trying to Plot X Y Scatter Graph where I want to change the X Axis to
Text i.e. Single Hook, Double Hook, Triple Hook..... ETC while the Y Axis
can be 0, 50, 100, 150..... By Default X Axis takes 1,2,3 .... Can I Chage
to my Desired Lable?

Please LEt me Know If the Same is Possible.

My Data is as Under.

Mooring Type Single Hook 2 Hook 3 Hook 4 Hook
extreme loads benign locn 110 132 198 264
extreme loads exposed locn 110 165 253 341
accidental load condition 129.8 231 308 385

Thanks,
Max

Are you sure you want a Scatter chart rather than a Lines, or even a
standard Column type?

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Wednesday, 7 October, 2020 at 4:32:54 pm UTC+5:30, Peter T wrote:
"Max" wrote in message

I am trying to Plot X Y Scatter Graph where I want to change the X Axis to
Text i.e. Single Hook, Double Hook, Triple Hook..... ETC while the Y Axis
can be 0, 50, 100, 150..... By Default X Axis takes 1,2,3 .... Can I Chage
to my Desired Lable?

Please LEt me Know If the Same is Possible.

My Data is as Under.

Mooring Type Single Hook 2 Hook 3 Hook 4 Hook
extreme loads benign locn 110 132 198 264
extreme loads exposed locn 110 165 253 341
accidental load condition 129.8 231 308 385

Thanks,
Max

Are you sure you want a Scatter chart rather than a Lines, or even a
standard Column type?

Peter T

Thanks Peter, YEs I am just tring to Plot a X Y Scatter Graph only where I wanted to change the Axis (Perticularly X Axis) to show the Text Format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Max" wrote in message

[...]

Please find attached link for the file where I can explain easily.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ak16zOG3Op0Cb05b...Azh9M?e=lyklCG

Max
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Max" wrote in message

[...]

Reason for asking is a Scatter works with pairs of X:Y values, but it looks
like your data only has Y values and no obvious reason (based on your data)
to make a Scatter rather than a Line type.

OK, select your 4 hook labels with the single row of values below and create
a Scatter chart. Manually change the Series name to the load label left of
the first row of values. That should create a single series Scatter with
your hook labels on the X-axis.

Manually add the second series:
Select the chart, on the Design Tab / Data / Select Data / Add
Series name: the 2nd 'load' label
X values: the row of 4 hook labels in the top row
Y values: the 2nd row of values

Similarly add the 3rd series

You should now have a Scatter with 3 'load' series and your hook labels as
required on the X axis.

Effectively exactly the same as had you added a Line chart in the first
place, which you could have done simply by selecting all the data as posted
including the labels. Then if visually you only want markers - Format and
remove the lines.

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Max" wrote in message
Please find attached link for the file where I can explain easily.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ak16zOG3Op0Cb05b...Azh9M?e=lyklCG

Max

I didn't see this when I posted a couple of minutes ago, if that didn't
answer your question let me know and I'll look at your file.

PT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Peter T" wrote in message Peter T
[...]

Hmm, I thought that worked but trying again it doesn't, as in the text
labels don't appear in the x-axis. ~(maybe I thought I'd created a Scatter
but accidentally a Line...)

I doubled checked because thinking again I was a bit surprised it worked, As
I mentioned a Scatter requires X:Y values, if the X's are not supplied they
are created by default as 1,2,3 to indicate 1st,2nd,3rd y-value.

I'll look again later and with your file, but it might not be possible,
which'd bring it back to using a Line chart -

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Thursday, 8 October, 2020 at 4:20:57 pm UTC+5:30, Peter T wrote:
"Max" wrote in message
Please find attached link for the file where I can explain easily.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ak16zOG3Op0Cb05b...Azh9M?e=lyklCG

Max

I didn't see this when I posted a couple of minutes ago, if that didn't
answer your question let me know and I'll look at your file.

PT

Peter Thanks for your Reply and solving the trouble....
The trouble I am facing is I am still not able to see the result in the displyed Graph. Its still shows the numbers.
May be the Excel Version. I am using MS Office 365 ProPlus FYI.
Please see the attahed link to seethe result (Screenshot) after adding the first series.

https://1drv.ms/w/s!Ak16zOG3Op0CcBG_..._IrKw?e=VhVLcD

Also updated file is linked below.
https://1drv.ms/x/s!Ak16zOG3Op0Cb05b...Azh9M?e=dnjh65
If you can suggest any workaaround for the same
Many thanks Peter
Max
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Max" wrote in message
[...]

I've had a look at your file (also in 365) and it's as realised when I came
last time - you can't have text labels in a Scatter chart for the reasons I
outlined in my first response. Sorry for misleading you first time, but I
did quickly correct!

You could workaround and add Labels over the x-value markers and keep your
Scatter. Another way would be to start with a dummy Line series with all
zero Y values (assuming the x-axis cross the Y at 0) with the x-category
values your text cells, then add further Series as Scatter types

To do that add the first add the dummy Line as described, then your real
Series also as Lines. Then change chart type and from the list select Combo
(at the bottom) to give you a 'Custom Combination'. You should now see a
list of dropdowns from which you can change each series individually to
Scatter (but keep the dummy as a Line

The Scatters will now be linked to the new secondary x-axis on the top of
the chart and a new a secondary Y-axis on the right. So delete left axis
(that belongs to the dummy), and configure the secondary Y axis to cross the
at zero, then delete the top axis that belongs to the Scatters.

But I can't see any reason to do all that when making a Line chart is so
much easier and will be effectively the same. However if you've got a
special reason why it must be a Scatter, use one of the workarounds - and
please explain why it must be a Scatter!

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Peter T" wrote in message

... Another way would be to start with a dummy Line series with all zero Y
values (assuming the x-axis cross the Y at 0) with the x-category values
your text cells, then add further Series as Scatter types

To do that add the first ...

Easier than I suggested last time -
- Add a row of zeros just below the 'hook' labels.
- Select all the data including the 'hook' and 'load' labels
- Create a Line style chart with markers
- Change the chart type Combo
- Leave the first dummy series as Line type
- Change the other 'load' series to Scatter type

This time no secondary axes were created, for me

Format the dummy Series Line to not be visible

Quick and easy, except it could have been simply a Line chart!

PT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Friday, 9 October, 2020 at 2:20:50 am UTC+5:30, Peter T wrote:
"Peter T" wrote in message
... Another way would be to start with a dummy Line series with all zero Y
values (assuming the x-axis cross the Y at 0) with the x-category values
your text cells, then add further Series as Scatter types

To do that add the first ...

Easier than I suggested last time -
- Add a row of zeros just below the 'hook' labels.
- Select all the data including the 'hook' and 'load' labels
- Create a Line style chart with markers
- Change the chart type Combo
- Leave the first dummy series as Line type
- Change the other 'load' series to Scatter type

This time no secondary axes were created, for me

Format the dummy Series Line to not be visible

Quick and easy, except it could have been simply a Line chart!

PT

Thanks Peter, for your perfact workaround. It worked as Combo Custom Combination with one series line keeping zero values.
Appriciate your valuable guidance.
Cheers!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Peter T" wrote in message
[...]

I'm glad that worked and thanks for the feedback. Just one question though -
what effectively is the difference for your purposes between this workaround
and simply as a Line chart..?

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Peter T" wrote in message
[...]

We were having the same graph as horizontle bars erlier as part of our analysis and reports where may excel graphs are as a part of our reports...
It's wasa part of report where our end user wanted to have the bars in Scatter Plot with different markers.
I didn't asked back for the reason to change (I couldn't think any perticular reson but the presentation purpose).. May be I should.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Max" wrote in message
I'm glad that worked and thanks for the feedback. Just one question
though -
what effectively is the difference for your purposes between this
workaround
and simply as a Line chart..?

Peter T

We were having the same graph as horizontle bars erlier as part of our
analysis and reports where may excel graphs are as a part of our
reports...
It's wasa part of report where our end user wanted to have the bars in
Scatter Plot with different markers.
I didn't asked back for the reason to change (I couldn't think any
perticular reson but the presentation purpose).. May be I should.

If it's only for the markers, and maybe not visible lines, the Line type can
be formatted to appear visually same as a default scatter (for this data
with only Y values), and easier to 'combine' Bars with Lines

PT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Saturday, 10 October, 2020 at 9:01:05 pm UTC+5:30, Peter T wrote:
"Max" wrote in message
[...]

Ohhh thats added learning ... Peter...
Thanks for the same Idea and sharing the knowledge regarding the linechart can same as a scatter.
Sorry for the late reply as was not well couple of days...
Many Thanks...
Best Regards,
Max