Old January 31st 20, 07:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Copy multi-line variable to first empty row

GS wrote:

Incredible! Do you realise just how patronising you sound? Most of the
above evangelising, including your comment that I "...don't know of a
better way!" speaks more of your arrogance than my ignorance!

Terry,
I did not mean to offend, nor to discount the great progress you've made over
the years! Like I said, I can appreciate the years and expertise you have with
MXP so I'm just offering my years of experience and expertise with Excel
application development 'if you want to go that route'. (Given the tremendous
amount of effort/energy do this project with you would require from me, 'now in
my 28th year living with ALS', I don't offer my services to many much anymore!)

If I didn't have a good understanding of both your project concept as well as
your approach to it.., I would not have offered any assistance at all. I'm
sorry you have taken my meaning in poor light!

Garry,

Well, I'm sure your intentions were good - so peace!

My reaction was partly because you seemed to have little grasp of the
background I'd carefully described. I don't think you can have followed
some of my links which I think justify my '99%' comment.

That's not to say that this final step of getting the macro's finished
output into a neat Excel worksheet isn't important to me.

Nor is it to say that I wouldn't love to have been able to do it all in
a real programming language. But I'm not a programmer. I work at a
fairly accomplished level in MX Pro and in humble 'copy/paste/edit' mode
in VBA, Python and Arduino C/C++ (the latter for my electronics hobby).

I'm still struggling to find what I'm doing wrongly with Claus's last
code, but I think I'll put it aside for now and retire to the lounge for
a glass of white ;-)

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Friday 31 January 2020, 1831

Old January 31st 20, 07:38 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Terry,

Am Fri, 31 Jan 2020 18:31:33 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I'm still struggling to find what I'm doing wrongly with Claus's last
code, but I think I'll put it aside for now and retire to the lounge for
a glass of white ;-)

you get the error when the cipboard is empty.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Old January 31st 20, 07:59 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Fri, 31 Jan 2020 18:31:33 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I'm still struggling to find what I'm doing wrongly with Claus's last
code, but I think I'll put it aside for now and retire to the lounge for
a glass of white ;-)

you get the error when the cipboard is empty.

Regards
Claus B.

Thanks Claus, I'll follow up on that - maybe after dinner!

I must have changed something. Because as I said I *did* get one single
correct result (flaws apart). I assume you looked at my pasted code and
saw no variation?

Meanwhile, FWIW, the sequence of steps I take, with WalkIndex.xlsm (or
test equivalent) already open, is this:

1. Copy the 21 lines from my test editor. The first line is
20190919MarshGreen-B-r424-m4.4.gpx
and the last is

2. From your code, the first two lines of which are

Sub Claus()
'Gets external data from clipboard into variable tAll_VBA

I use F5.

3. That gives the debug message.

So, from what you say, somehow the clipboard is getting cleared before
your macro runs?

BTW, can you confirm which version of the variable tAll_VBA you are
using please. And which exact worksheet are you running it on?

Finally (no promises!) how does 'Montag' and the German decimal comma
get into the result?

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Old January 31st 20, 08:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Terry,

Am Fri, 31 Jan 2020 18:31:33 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I'm still struggling to find what I'm doing wrongly with Claus's last
code, but I think I'll put it aside for now and retire to the lounge for
a glass of white ;-)

you get the error when the cipboard is empty.

Regards
Claus B.

I got the same error running with an empty Clipboard! This is my contention for
going with reading the source data directly into an array and processing it
entirely within Excel with no external dependencies!!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Old January 31st 20, 08:51 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GS wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Fri, 31 Jan 2020 18:31:33 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I'm still struggling to find what I'm doing wrongly with Claus's last
code, but I think I'll put it aside for now and retire to the lounge for
a glass of white ;-)

you get the error when the cipboard is empty.

Regards
Claus B.

I got the same error running with an empty Clipboard! This is my contention for
going with reading the source data directly into an array and processing it
entirely within Excel with no external dependencies!!

Hi Garry,

OK, here's some typical 'source data'
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kwb4yy02rw...m8.3.gpx?raw=1

I'm looking forward to seeing and using your code, delivering all the
output I get from my MX Pro macro, text and images. Using your "very
simple approach"!

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old January 31st 20, 09:24 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Fri, 31 Jan 2020 18:31:33 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I'm still struggling to find what I'm doing wrongly with Claus's last
code, but I think I'll put it aside for now and retire to the lounge for
a glass of white ;-)

you get the error when the cipboard is empty.

Regards
Claus B.

Hi Claus & Garry,

I methodically reduced the growing clutter of modules and procedures to
a minimum: just your macro and the 'clipboard overhead'. Then I tried
again. Still same result!

Here is my latest worksheet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p06jmcvnhe...est.xlsm?raw=1

The data for clipboard remains the same, but for convenience here it is
again:

20190919MarshGreen-B-r424-m4.4.gpx
Circular walk with Brian, Marsh Green
20190919MarshGreen-B-r424-m4.4
Thursday 19 September 2019
20190919
09:56
11:53
1:56
4.5
2.3
424
242
190
190
Thursday 19 September 2019: Circular walk with Brian, Marsh Green
Start 09:56, End 11:53, Dur'n 1:56 , 4.5 miles, avg. mph 2.3
Gross asc/desc 190 ft, Max 242 ft
C:\Users\terry\Dropbox\FinishedWalks\20190919Marsh Green-B-r424-m4.4.jpg
C:\Users\terry\Dropbox\FinishedWalks\20190919Marsh Green-B-r424-m4.4-PS.jpg
D:\Pictures\PHOTOS\Walks UK\2019\20190919-110750.jpg

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Old January 31st 20, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Claus Busch wrote:

[...]

And both the MsgBox at the start of the macro, AND the clipboard itself
when the macro had finished, still contained the original data.

Terry
Old January 31st 20, 09:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Terry,

Am Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:35:27 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Here is my latest worksheet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p06jmcvnhe...est.xlsm?raw=1

we don't have your data. Our clipboard is empty.
I pasted your data to another sheet and copy it from there.
Have a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jljxb1jyr...Test.xlsm?dl=0

If you run it on your language version the comma is changed to period
and the day names are in Englisch.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Old January 31st 20, 11:16 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GS wrote:

[...]

Could you please also provide the 3 remaining items on my list (when you have
time to do so)?

Old January 31st 20, 11:53 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Fri, 31 Jan 2020 20:35:27 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Here is my latest worksheet:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p06jmcvnhe...est.xlsm?raw=1

we don't have your data. Our clipboard is empty.
I pasted your data to another sheet and copy it from there.
Have a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5jljxb1jyr...Test.xlsm?dl=0

If you run it on your language version the comma is changed to period
and the day names are in Englisch.

Regards
Claus B.

Hi Claus,

I included the data at the bottom of my 16:45 post and mentioned it at
the top:
"I copy tAll_VBA to the clipboard and use F5 to run your macro. (I've
also pasted a copy of that.)"

BINGO - I just successfully ran your macro! ;-)

I've no idea why yours works and mine didn't. It seems the only
difference in our workflow is that you are copying from a single cell of
a worksheet and I'm copying from my text editor. (I'm pretty sure I also
occasionally copied from a worksheet too, but one line per row.)

I've been up since 5:30 am so I'll get back on the case in the morning.

Many thanks for sticking with me on this!

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK