Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Copy multi-line variable to first empty row

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Fri, 31 Jan 2020 22:53:54 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I included the data at the bottom of my 16:45 post and mentioned it at
the top:
"I copy tAll_VBA to the clipboard and use F5 to run your macro. (I've
also pasted a copy of that.)"

BINGO - I just successfully ran your macro! ;-)

I've no idea why yours works and mine didn't. It seems the only
difference in our workflow is that you are copying from a single cell of
a worksheet and I'm copying from my text editor. (I'm pretty sure I also
occasionally copied from a worksheet too, but one line per row.)

I've been up since 5:30 am so I'll get back on the case in the morning.

have a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAA...D3QOp0C 1y7E8

Into that folder is a text file and a new Workbook. The macro reads the
text file and write it into the workbook.

Regards
Claus B.

Hi Claus,

That is an interesting alternative to the external clipboard approach.
(I used a similar method, but with tTtrackName.xlsm as my source.)
But your macro would need the varying file name tTrackName.txt, which I
assume that would have to be passed via the clipboard anyway?

The actual text files I create look like this one for 20190714Fowey to
Polperro-r925-m8.3.txt are more extensive.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n300ncvxmu...m8.3.txt?raw=1

My MX macro then parses and summarises the file as tAll_VBA, which is
then used by your macro. (Version N - I'm losing track)!

I'm very happy with the external clipboard approach, not only because it
capitalises on the work I've already finished but also because it's
almost finished, thanks to your patient efforts!

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Garry,

Looks good - and impressively ambitious!

Some comments inline.

I'm still not quite there with Claus's latest macro. The baffling
problem is that I can run it OK on several test versions of WalkIndex
but not on that full file itself.

Because of that I have not yet had time to finish the outputs you asked
for but hope to do so tomorrow.

GS wrote:

Yes, of course you're at a disadvantage, I'd say a serious one! Just as
I am with this 1% of the project because I'm not a VBA programmer, so
you are with the previous 99% because you don't know GPSU.

But we're now way OT! If you want to discuss GPSU there's a Google group
forum at https://groups.io/g/gpsu/ but it's been pretty quiet for the
last few years and traffic dropped off even more sharply when it moved
to Google after Yahoo dropped its groups.

Well you are certainly correct speaking about your project, but GPSU's help
file is pretty straight forward about explaining how it works and how to use
it, ..speaking from an application developer's point of view. (VBA isn't the
only language I develop in; - all of my Excel-based apps have equivalent
stand-alone Windows EXEs for those who don't/won't use MS Office. These are
currently being revised to implement a newer spreadsheet control that fully
supports working with the latest Excel file formats.)

Also, I'm very familiar with data logging in more general (broader) usage so
the GPX file you posted (4846 lines) is a rather small file by comparison to
many I've seen and worked with before. That said, your final (nicely done) xlsm
has that same walk as its 1st entry; - the Trkpts field value is only 925; how
was that arrived at from the 4846-line data log with 4828 trkpt lines? (Your
ActualMiles field value is 7.9; the GPX value is 8.3; - I assume you turned the
recorder on before actually starting the walk!)

I was going to mention that when I sent the outputs but will cover it
here. At some time a year or three ago my GPS device (iPhone 6S+)
started to generate 5x to 10x times the number of track points as it
(and earlier devices) had done previously. That bumps up distances a
bit, so I used GPSU's feature to reduce them. My macro offers the option
at the outset and the filename (trackname.gpx) is altered to reflect the
change.

That prompts another point. I name my GPX files like this at the outset:
20190714Fowey to Polperro-u4828-m8.3.gpx
yyyymmdd (I've not so far walked through a midnight and don't anticipate
that!); description; -u4828 = an unedited track with that many
trackpoints; -m8.3 = 8.3 miles (rounded)
So 20190714Fowey to Polperro-r925-m7.9 is the more realistic reduced
version.

The context of my offer to you is to populate WalkIndex.xlsm directly from the
source file instead of from Clipboard; - that data source file is what I need
to work with because it contains data not in the GPX file. (I was just curious
about the output format from GPSU's CSV file; - disappointed that's not what
you posted!)

The only data not in (or obtainable from) the GPX that comes immediately
to mind is tTrackDescr, a brief label entered by me when prompted at the
start of the macro:
'Fowey to Polperro' or, in current test versions, 'Fowey to Polperro,
SWCP 2019'.

Remind me of any I've missed.

My design intent is as follows:

Use a pre-configured source data template file for listing new walk data;
This will be a proper text file dbase template; - 1st line has the
datafields from Target pre-inserted, as a delimited list. (I normally use
the Pipe character but this is your choice as to which character)
- gives you the option to include multiple walks in a file

Use your final Target sheet as its template (xlsm) for adding new walk data
and displaying historical records;

Enable you to choose the file[s] to import via a file dialog for each session
you add more walk data;
- adds new data to the next empty row

A backup (dbase) file will be maintained in case your xlsm gets broken or
damaged such that it won't open; - you'll be able to recover your data into
a new workbook with 1 mouse click.

(This is a typical feature with other data logger analysis projects I've
done)

Would you like it to not pre-load existing walk data when it opens?
(Typically, users are only working with new data being added, and have
existing data display only on demand? Typically, my users like to be
able to view historical data using filters such as 'Place to Place',
'Date to Date', and the like.)

Definitely want *all* the data in that one file please. That's causing
me headaches because of the format changes due to my switching to an
'all text' output from my MX macro.

(My experience with data logging systems is mostly in the trucking
industry for analizing road trips; - place-to-place mileage, elapsed-time,
fuel-consumed, rest-stops, and whatever else the client wants. Data
sources are the logger system output file, trip manifest, and trip record.
Normal usage is direct input from the source paperwork and data logger
file is read to setup the record rows for each place-to-place)

Optionally, enable you to view your maps and other images via InsertPicture
on a separate sheet via existing links to image files (for viewing only);

All features run from menu controls on a custom Ribbon tab that appear when
the workbook opens, disappears when it closes;

As is the case with all my clients, this project will remain your proprietary
property. (Don't worry, there's no fee for this!)

If you decide to proceed, I suggest we continue with this offline as it
ventures way too far OT to continue here. (You'll need to post an email
address!)

The only weakness is that an important part of my macro is the
generation of a smoothed elevation profile image from GPSU (as well as
its altitude data), which is the basis of the Profile Summary (PS) the
macro creates later. If I understand you correctly your VBA macro will
neither deliver that nor the PS. Disappointing that "something way
beyond MXP's step-up-from-novice approach!" falls a bit short here
Garry!

Otherwise it would prove a useful complement, and a fun project.

But do give it up without any concern if it proves unexpectedly
arduous/time consuming - unless you're enjoying the challenge - as
frankly I'm pretty happy with what I have!

Email to t.pinnellATbtinternetDOTcom

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Garry,

Looks good - and impressively ambitious!

Some comments inline.

I'm still not quite there with Claus's latest macro. The baffling
problem is that I can run it OK on several test versions of WalkIndex
but not on that full file itself.

Because of that I have not yet had time to finish the outputs you asked
for but hope to do so tomorrow.

No rush! I'm following Claus' progress with code to read in data your source
file instead of Clipboard. He does good work so hang in there!

I'll try to generate a CSV from the GPX I have for Fowley-Polperro. Also, after
seeing your Clipboard source file example I've created a vertical list template
using value pairs (fieldname=value) similar to what you do now, but in an INI
file format as an alternative for use with single walk events. (Don't want to
overwhelm you with too much new stuff all at once!)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Terry,

Am Sat, 01 Feb 2020 14:12:28 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

That is an interesting alternative to the external clipboard approach.
(I used a similar method, but with tTtrackName.xlsm as my source.)
But your macro would need the varying file name tTrackName.txt, which I
assume that would have to be passed via the clipboard anyway?

The actual text files I create look like this one for 20190714Fowey to
Polperro-r925-m8.3.txt are more extensive.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n300ncvxmu...m8.3.txt?raw=1

My MX macro then parses and summarises the file as tAll_VBA, which is
then used by your macro. (Version N - I'm losing track)!

I'm very happy with the external clipboard approach, not only because it
capitalises on the work I've already finished but also because it's
almost finished, thanks to your patient efforts!

have another look in DropBox

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Claus Busch wrote:

[...]

Sorry Claus, I don't follow? Look at what? You've not given a Dropbox
link.

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Terry,

Am Sun, 02 Feb 2020 18:42:52 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Sorry Claus, I don't follow? Look at what? You've not given a Dropbox
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAA...Xj13dfF Ev0Aw

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Sun, 02 Feb 2020 18:42:52 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Sorry Claus, I don't follow? Look at what? You've not given a Dropbox
link.

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAA...Xj13dfF Ev0Aw

Regards
Claus B.

YES!! Thank you.

This version also runs on the full worksheet, so I'm a happy bunny (or
whatever the german equivalent is).

(I never did solve that with the clipboard versions, which always ran OK
with the test worksheets but never with the main one.)

And late last night I realised I'd forgotten an easy solution to the
problem I raised about the varying source text filename. In my MX macro
I'll simply save a TEMPORARY file Source.txt, as well as tTrackName.txt.
Which is basically what I did before when I was saving those complex
'tracksheets'.

So that brings us up from 99% to 99.5% finished. But I'd still like to
get U,V and W to hyperlinks please Claus - when you've had a decent
break from my stuff ;-)

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Sun, 02 Feb 2020 19:32:34 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

And late last night I realised I'd forgotten an easy solution to the
problem I raised about the varying source text filename. In my MX macro
I'll simply save a TEMPORARY file Source.txt, as well as tTrackName.txt.
Which is basically what I did before when I was saving those complex
'tracksheets'.

So that brings us up from 99% to 99.5% finished. But I'd still like to
get U,V and W to hyperlinks please Claus - when you've had a decent
break from my stuff ;-)

have another look in DropBox.
Now you get real hyperlinks.

Regards
Claus B.

Thanks Claus but no new link?

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Terry,

Am Sun, 02 Feb 2020 21:10:03 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Thanks Claus but no new link?

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAA..._NUv6WQ Vki98

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Terry,

Am Sun, 02 Feb 2020 21:10:03 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Thanks Claus but no new link?

https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAA..._NUv6WQ Vki98

Regards
Claus B.

Hi Claus,

Terrific, thanks so much!

Great work on this, Claus, warmly appreciated!

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

GS wrote:

[...]

I've not yet got your email address so I'm posting here as I prepared
this yesterday as planned. If you have queries or need further
information please use the email address I sent you.

As requested for your VBA project, here's a list of my macro functions.

1. Inputs a GPX to GPSU. Like the example I sent you.

2. Prompts for short description of walk, tTrackDescr.

3. Offers option to reduce number of trackpoints.

4. If reduced, allows renaming of track and saves with tFileName =
tTrackName

5. Smooth's altitude data using filter = 4 and outputs an elevation
profile as a JPG. Here's an example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2lj3ipwh07...Elev.jpg?raw=1

6. Outputs summary report. Like the example discussed in this thread.
Here's an example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/n300ncvxmu...m8.3.txt?raw=1
(That should also help you as it includes the variable names assigned at
that point.

7. Sends calls to PaintShop Pro to enhance the GPSU elevation profile
and save it. Here's an example:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4tveyo50n9...9-PS.jpg?raw=1
Assigns the location as tPSlink,

8. Prompts user to choose a photo/video taken during the walk, from the
appropriate folder automatically presented (based on the first eight
characters of tTrackName). Assigns the location as tPhotoLink.

9. A finished walk map may have been prepared at this stage, partially
assisted by the macro. Whether or not it exists, a location is assigned
as tFWlink.

10. A new entry is added to WalkIndex.xlsm. Details already provided.

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Terry,

Am Mon, 03 Feb 2020 18:18:13 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Could you take a look at this please to see if you can spot where the
unwanted spaces are coming from?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rf6q4q7r82...aces.jpg?raw=1

Source.txt looks OK to me. Here's the file I used for that last run:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mr78694twn...urce.txt?raw=1

there were 1 leading space and a trailing char(13)
Have a look:
https://www.dropbox.com/transfer/AAA...AyjTIJxkeCuAQE

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Terry,

Am Mon, 03 Feb 2020 21:23:17 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

Here's a copy of my current sweetly running version. It's just yours
plus some minor alignment statements and a bit of code at the end to
turn 'Sunday' into 'Sun' etc (which saves me doing that in MX Pro).

if you want the short version of the weekday change the line that writes
the weekday in the cell to:
Case "A"
.Cells(LRow, varCols(i)) = Format(myDate, "ddd dd\/mm\/yy")

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Terry,

Am Mon, 03 Feb 2020 21:37:06 +0000 schrieb Terry Pinnell:

I was just coming back to say that my code was careless anyway: I would
get Tues, Wednes, Thurs, Satur!

the format ddd will bring you Mon, Tue, Wed and so on.
If you want the days like the examples above you must use string
functions and the the whole cell is a string and no more a real date.

In that "ddd dd\/mm\/yy" why is the '\' needed?

The backslash is a marker that the following character is shown in the
format.

Have a try. I did some improvments:

Sub CopyTextToWI_ClausPlus()
Dim strCols As String
Dim strValues As String
Dim strData As String
Dim strRep As String
Dim strTmp As String
Dim varTmp As Variant
Dim varCols As Variant
Dim varValues As Variant
Dim LRow As Long
Dim i As Integer
Dim myDate As Date
Dim objReadFile As Object
Dim FSO As Object

'Modify Path and file name for your device
Const FN = "C:\Users\terry\Dropbox\FinishedWalks\Source.t xt"
Set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.Filesystemobject")
Set objReadFile = FSO.opentextfile(FN)
strData = objReadFile.readall
objReadFile.Close
strRep = Chr(13) & Chr(10) & Chr(13) & Chr(10)
strData = Replace(strData, strRep, Chr(13) & Chr(10))
MsgBox strData
strCols = "A,B,C,H,I,J,K,L,M,N,O,P,R,S,T"
varCols = Split(strCols, ",")
strValues = "3,4,2,10,8,5,6,7,9,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19 "
varValues = Split(strValues, ",")
varTmp = Split(strData, Chr(13) & Chr(10))
strTmp = Trim(Split(varTmp(4), " = ")(2))
myDate = DateSerial(CInt(Left(strTmp, 4)), CInt(Mid(strTmp, 5, 2)), _
CInt(Right(strTmp, 2)))

With Sheets("Target")
LRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row + 1
.Rows(LRow).ClearFormats
For i = LBound(varCols) To UBound(varCols)
Select Case varCols(i)
Case "J", "K", "L"
.Cells(LRow, varCols(i)) = _
Format(Trim(Split(varTmp(CInt(varValues(i))), " = ")(2)), "hh:mm")
Case "A"
.Cells(LRow, varCols(i)) = _
Format(myDate, "ddd dd\/mm\/yy")
Case Else
.Cells(LRow, varCols(i)) = _
Trim(Split(varTmp(CInt(varValues(i))), "=")(2))
End Select
Next
i = 17
.Hyperlinks.Add _
anchor:=.Cells(LRow, i + 5), _
Address:=Trim(Split(varTmp(i), "=")(2)), _
TextToDisplay:="FW"
.Hyperlinks.Add _
anchor:=.Cells(LRow, i + 4), _
Address:=Trim(Split(varTmp(i + 1), "=")(2)), _
TextToDisplay:="PS"
.Hyperlinks.Add _
anchor:=.Cells(LRow, i + 6), _
Address:=Trim(Split(varTmp(i + 2), "=")(2)), _
TextToDisplay:=Mid(Split(varTmp(i + 2), "=")(2), _
InStrRev(Split(varTmp(i + 2), "=")(2), "\") + 1)

.Range("A" & LRow & ":W" & LRow).HorizontalAlignment = xlCenter
.Range("A" & LRow).HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft
.Range("C" & LRow).HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft
.Range("R" & LRow & ":T" & LRow).HorizontalAlignment = xlLeft

End With
End Sub

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Claus, that's much tidier!

Best wishes,

Terry, East Grinstead, UK

====================

Claus Busch wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

My macro is now working sweetly, thanks to Claus, using an intermediate
text file to transfer the variables from the external source, my macro
written with Macro Express Pro.

I've just come across the SaveSetting and GetSetting VBA functions to
save and recover data from the registry. MX Pro also has similar
commands. So would this be a viable and possibly superior alternative
method?

Terry, East Grinstead, UK