Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel 2007 VBA Book

Having recently switched from 2003 to 2007 version of Excel, I need to get a good book to learn the details of VBA for 2007. Looking at 2 versions:

"Excel 2007 VBA Macro Programming" by Richard Shepherd

"Excel 2007 Macro Programming With VBA" by John Walkenbach

Any suggestions about these options, or perhaps others that may be more useful for self-learning? Thanks in advance

It would probably also be useful to own a reference manual about the macro functions of 2007. Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Excel 2007 Macro Programming With VBA" by John Walkenbach

Anything by this author is a good place to start. Note, though, that you will
still be using VBA6 while MS Office moved on to VBA7 in v2010. As before, I
encourage you to go with at least v2010 moving forward because it is the base
for all recent versions. (just saying v2007 is no place for a serious developer
to be *spending* time/energy to learn! Hang onto your v2003 and pick up v2010
at the 1st opportunity!)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sunday, December 22, 2019 at 6:21:19 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
"Excel 2007 Macro Programming With VBA" by John Walkenbach

Anything by this author is a good place to start. Note, though, that you will
still be using VBA6 while MS Office moved on to VBA7 in v2010. As before, I
encourage you to go with at least v2010 moving forward because it is the base
for all recent versions. (just saying v2007 is no place for a serious developer
to be *spending* time/energy to learn! Hang onto your v2003 and pick up v2010
at the 1st opportunity!)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Thanks Garry. I now have 2007, and learning it's a huge step from 2003 particularly in the spreadsheet layout and details. Do you think I should additionally buy 2010? What do you see as the major differences between 2007 & 2010? As always your input is very useful to me, thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

2007 is the 1st release of the Office Ribbon interface, and still runs VBA6 as
its macro language. In 2010 the Ribbon was redesigned/updated to the current
interface, and Backstage (File tab) replaced the Office Button. You can do a
lot more with 2010 and on in terms of customization. In fact, there are 2 modes
for the XML: customUI.xml and customUI14.xml. The latter only works with 2010
and on; the former only works with 2007.

IMO, you should be able to get a copy of MS Office 2010 Pro dirt cheap so you
have at the very least current UserInterface features and the latest version of
VBA for programming. For my stuff I keep 2003 and 2010 installed as a base set
for old/new formats. I also have 2013/2016/365 installed for testing so I have
all the bases covered. Addins written in 2003 still work all the way up to 365
so you are covered if you need to cater to both early/late formats. Anything
newer than 2010 will still be costly but 2010 is also a fairly stable release
for development purposes.

The Walkenbach books are a great place to start learning programming. The
Developer-toDeveloper series from Wrox are a good 'next step', but the ultimate
developer guide is "Professional Excel Development" from hear:

http://www.appspro.com/Books/ProExcelDev.htm

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

Here's where I got mine...

http://appscustomerscare.com/product...essional-plus/

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

You can buy just Excel for $30 less but the whole pkg is worth the $30 extra
IMO!

http://appscustomerscare.com/product...ce-excel-2010/

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Monday, December 23, 2019 at 6:09:22 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
[...]

Thanks Garry, with your detailed information I should be able to decide intelligently. Just a question: You indicated you have Excel 2003 and all versions that followed installed. Do they not interfere with one another? As always, I grealy appreciate your interest.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

No, they do not interfere with each other. Since 2003, the installer gives you
the option to keep the older version[s] already installed. Note that each
version installs into its own folder location, and all other data locations as
well. My XP-Pro machine has all the way back to Office 97, but before 2003 we
had to mnage installed locations ourselves; - nice that the installers do it
for us via options now. MSO365 might be the last-latest-and-greatest but to
avoid my Excel-based apps from running that version I have to do Repair on 2010
after it updates (same with all newer installed versions) so 2010 remains the
default app for Excel files.

FWIW
My Excel-based apps use a FrontLoader.exe to run in their own automated
instance of Excel because I completely modify the UI to the point where users
may not even realize they are using Excel. So writing the addin in xl2003
enables me to run under xl2007+ OR earlier versions back to xl2000 as well.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tuesday, December 24, 2019 at 2:06:59 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
[...]

Man, impressive expertise, indeed. Thanks, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Same right back at ya'!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Man, impressive expertise, indeed

Mostly thanks to the book "Professional Excel Development" and mentoring by one
of its authors!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Walkenbach books are a great place to start learning programming. The
Developer-toDeveloper series from Wrox are a good 'next step', but the
ultimate developer guide is "Professional Excel Development" from hear

The Wrox titles are their "Programmer-to-Programmer" series, not what I said
above.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tuesday, December 24, 2019 at 2:20:50 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
The Walkenbach books are a great place to start learning programming. The
Developer-toDeveloper series from Wrox are a good 'next step', but the
ultimate developer guide is "Professional Excel Development" from hear

The Wrox titles are their "Programmer-to-Programmer" series, not what I said
above.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!