Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem loading Solver

I use Solver with Excel 2007. After starting Excel, Solver will not work. Both boxes for Solver Addins (yes, there are 2) are checked. The only solution I have found is to uncheck both boxes, close the addins list, opening it again and check both boxes. After closing, Solver works fine.

I have tried to write VBA scripts to automate this but none have worked. Only the manual procedure indicated will do the trick.

Any help appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I use Solver with Excel 2007. After starting Excel, Solver will not work.
Both boxes for Solver Addins (yes, there are 2) are checked. The only
solution I have found is to uncheck both boxes, close the addins list,
opening it again and check both boxes. After closing, Solver works fine.

I have tried to write VBA scripts to automate this but none have worked.
Only the manual procedure indicated will do the trick.

Any help appreciated.

Have you tried Repairing your Office?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 6:30:27 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
I use Solver with Excel 2007. After starting Excel, Solver will not work.
Both boxes for Solver Addins (yes, there are 2) are checked. The only
solution I have found is to uncheck both boxes, close the addins list,
opening it again and check both boxes. After closing, Solver works fine.

I have tried to write VBA scripts to automate this but none have worked.
Only the manual procedure indicated will do the trick.

Any help appreciated.

Have you tried Repairing your Office?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Thanks Garry. Sorry about my ignorance, but how do you do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 6:30:27 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
I use Solver with Excel 2007. After starting Excel, Solver will not work.
Both boxes for Solver Addins (yes, there are 2) are checked. The only
solution I have found is to uncheck both boxes, close the addins list,
opening it again and check both boxes. After closing, Solver works fine.

I have tried to write VBA scripts to automate this but none have worked.
Only the manual procedure indicated will do the trick.

Any help appreciated.

Have you tried Repairing your Office?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Hi Garry. I have figured out how to do Repair. Unfortuntely it did not help. Any other ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 6:30:27 PM UTC-6, GS wrote:
I use Solver with Excel 2007. After starting Excel, Solver will not work.
Both boxes for Solver Addins (yes, there are 2) are checked. The only
solution I have found is to uncheck both boxes, close the addins list,
opening it again and check both boxes. After closing, Solver works fine.

I have tried to write VBA scripts to automate this but none have worked.
Only the manual procedure indicated will do the trick.

Any help appreciated.

Have you tried Repairing your Office?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Hi Garry. I have figured out how to do Repair. Unfortuntely it did not
help. Any other ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Addins are registered in either the HKey_Current_User or the HKey_Local_Machine
Registry locations. Solver Add-in is not listed in either but is listed (only
once) in each installed version of Excel Add-ins Manager dialog. Checking it
causes Excel to install this addin on 1st use, but it does not show in the
Registry where other Add-ins or COMAddins show. Once installed, it's available
to all installed versions of Excel, for all users. That suggests it registers
under HKey_Current_Root; - good luck finding where!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"programmernovice" wrote in message

I use Solver with Excel 2007. After starting Excel, Solver will not work.
Both boxes for Solver Addins (yes, there are 2) are checked. The only
solution I have found is to uncheck both boxes, close the addins list,
opening it again and check both boxes. After closing, Solver works fine.

I have tried to write VBA scripts to automate this but none have worked.
Only the manual procedure indicated will do the trick.

==========================

Pretty sure you shouldn't have two Solver addins, only solver.xlam; there's
also a helper Solver32.dll. If you've got two ticked what are their
respective filenames.., can't be the same and both loaded.

If the solver addin was unpacked when you installed Office it should be in
the Library folder, a subfolder of Office 2007 in program files. Bundled
addin files in this folder automatically exist in the addins collection, and
with code should be able to un/install it (ie ticked to load on startup)
Dim ad as addin
Set ad = Application.Addins("Solver Add-in")
ad.Installed = True

Might be worth looking in -
HKCU\\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options
and and look for any conflicts, two OPEN keys with solver perhaps

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Sunday, December 15, 2019 at 3:54:24 PM UTC-6, Peter T wrote:
[...]

Thanks Peter. I appear to have a conflict between the XLA and XLAM versions of the Solver file. For many years I used XLA with E 2003. Now after opening E 2007, I get messages indicating it cannot find XLA. Per your suggestion,I did find XLA listed (as well as XLAM)and I removed Solver.XLA from the registry. In the Addins file under Users\...\Roaming\Microsoft\Addins I located Solver.XLAM.

After all this, Excel is still looking for Solver.XLA. Can you please suggest steps to permanently "divorce" Excel 2007 from Solver.XLA.

Thank you very much for your help, this is a really nagging problem!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

That's really good info to know, thanks! (Geez, you'd think I'd know this
tidbit already; - it just might help with my Addins Manager app!)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

Is Solver32.dll a COMAddin for the same thing?

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

====================================

AFAIK bundled addins like solver should not be in Roaming\Microsoft\Addins,
that's the default location for your own addins
?application.UserLibraryPath

Bundled addins should be in the 'Library' folder I mentioned
?application.LibraryPath

If you deleted any reference to the solver.xla in the registry I don't know
why Excel is still looking for it, do you get some sort message about that
when Excel loads?

I would uninstall Solver, move all solver files say to desktop. Look at
Options and make sure Solver is not listed, and if you deleted any OPEN#
entries you 'decremented' any later OPEN# so you've got OPEN, OPEN1,2, 3 etc

Look in \Add-in Manager in the same path as Options, that's where
uninstalled addins not in one of the library paths (see above) get listed.

Maybe search the registry for solver in case mirrored in a Hkey-Users\S type
listing

If you can get rid of all trace try moving solver.xlam to the
app.LibraryPath
Or might be better to extract with the Office setup in control panel -
programs, don't recall exactly but you should be able to find it.

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message

Is Solver32.dll a COMAddin for the same thing?

Not as far as I know, think it's just a helper

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
Might be worth looking in -
HKCU\\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options
and and look for any conflicts, two OPEN keys with solver perhaps

Peter T

That's really good info to know, thanks! (Geez, you'd think I'd know this
tidbit already; - it just might help with my Addins Manager app!)

The one that can be confusing is the ATP which needs a different approach to
install with its XLL

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message

Is Solver32.dll a COMAddin for the same thing?

Not as far as I know, think it's just a helper

Peter T

Ok, thanks! That's what I figured since it resides in the same path.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message
Might be worth looking in -
HKCU\\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options
and and look for any conflicts, two OPEN keys with solver perhaps

Peter T

That's really good info to know, thanks! (Geez, you'd think I'd know this
tidbit already; - it just might help with my Addins Manager app!)

The one that can be confusing is the ATP which needs a different approach to
install with its XLL

Peter T

I've never used ATP. Knowing this path didn't solve my issue for locating where
non-registry listed addins can be found since the ones listed don't appear
here!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message ...
"GS" wrote in message
Might be worth looking in -
HKCU\\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Excel\Options
and and look for any conflicts, two OPEN keys with solver perhaps

Peter T

That's really good info to know, thanks! (Geez, you'd think I'd know
this tidbit already; - it just might help with my Addins Manager app!)

The one that can be confusing is the ATP which needs a different approach
to install with its XLL

Peter T

I've never used ATP. Knowing this path didn't solve my issue for locating
where non-registry listed addins can be found since the ones listed don't
appear here!

Not sure I follow..?

Addins in app.LibraryPath and UserLibraryPath automatically exist in the
addins collection whether installed or not. Addins in other locations can be
added to the addin's collection, thereafter will be listed Options or
'Add-in manager' depending on whether installed. If removed entirely should
manually delete from Add-in Manager if still there.

Since 2007 .UserLibraryPath is the default addins location, except for
bundled addins (solver etc) which continue in .LibraryPath

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message ...
"GS" wrote in message
[...]

Ok, there are COMAddins listing in the respective collection dialogs of various
installed Excel versions that don't list in any folders that I've been able to
find.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 12:03:50 PM UTC-6, Peter T wrote:
"GS" wrote in message ...
"GS" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks Peter & Garry. I tried following all instructions, even removing and re-adding Excel in Programs & Features (Windows 10) Now can't run the following script:

solverok setcell:=Range("Collect.xlsm!absDif"), maxminval:=2, valueof:="0", bychange:=Range("Collect.xlsm!absDif").Offset(0, -1)
solverSolve (True)
solverfinish (True)

I get:

Compile error:
Can't find project or library

Any ideas? Thanks for your patience, fellows!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"GS" wrote in message ...
"GS" wrote in message
[...]

I failed to mention that the script shown was obtained by recording the procedure under the Record macro option of Excel 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

Am Mon, 16 Dec 2019 11:31:52 -0800 (PST) schrieb programmernovice:

I failed to mention that the script shown was obtained by recording the procedure under the Record macro option of Excel 2007.

VB Editor = Extras = References and set a reference to the solver

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I failed to mention that the script shown was obtained by recording the
procedure under the Record macro option of Excel 2007.

Sorry I don't use this addin; - Peter is helping me here as much as he's
helping you!

FWIW
You do know that 2007 (v12) is the 'Windows ME' of MS Office, right? I highly
recommend replacing it with at least v2010Pro which you can probably find
online veryvery cheap! (just saying...)

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"programmernovice" wrote in message
Thanks Peter & Garry. I tried following all instructions, even removing
and re-adding Excel in Programs & Features (Windows 10) Now can't run the
following script:

solverok setcell:=Range("Collect.xlsm!absDif"), maxminval:=2,
valueof:="0", bychange:=Range("Collect.xlsm!absDif").Offset(0, -1)
solverSolve (True)
solverfinish (True)

I get:

Compile error:
Can't find project or library

Any ideas? Thanks for your patience, fellows!

I failed to mention that the script shown was obtained by recording the
procedure under the Record macro option of Excel 2007.

As Claus said you need to add a reference to the solver addin, though in an
English system if would be in Tools / References, not "Extras" :)

If solver.xlam is already loaded tick "SOLVER" which you should see near the
top of the list. But just for this it doesn't need to be loaded or installed
as an addin, just browse to the file in References. In future it should load
automatically with your file if not already loaded.

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Monday, December 16, 2019 at 2:34:27 PM UTC-6, Peter T wrote:
[...]

Many thanks to Peter, Garry, and now Claus. I resolved all my problems. One last question (I hope). The final pop-up from Solver (Solver Results) requires user to click on the OK button to close it. Is there some way via VBA to do this and completely automate the process.

You guys are incredible resources for a tyro like myself. Thanks for helping me out.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"programmernovice" wrote in message

The final pop-up from Solver (Solver Results) requires user to click on the
OK button to close it. Is there some way via VBA to do this and completely
automate the process.

===============================

It's a while since I've used it, I vaguely recall there is a way though it
seems to have a mind of it's own whether the final dialog appears, or maybe
it's the overall scenario. See if you can find something in the following:

https://www.solver.com/excel-solver-vba-functions
https://peltiertech.com/Excel/SolverVBA.html

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 8:00:38 AM UTC-6, Peter T wrote:
"programmernovice" wrote in message

The final pop-up from Solver (Solver Results) requires user to click on the
OK button to close it. Is there some way via VBA to do this and completely
automate the process.

===============================

It's a while since I've used it, I vaguely recall there is a way though it
seems to have a mind of it's own whether the final dialog appears, or maybe
it's the overall scenario. See if you can find something in the following:

https://www.solver.com/excel-solver-vba-functions
https://peltiertech.com/Excel/SolverVBA.html

Peter T

Thanks Peter. In case it's helpful to you:

SolverSolve True

works. Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

Indeed that's what the documentation says, but don't be surprised if the
dialog appears again!

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"Peter T" wrote in message
[...]

... and looking back at your post with your code you already had exactly
that...?

PT

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 10:14:56 AM UTC-6, Peter T wrote:
"Peter T" wrote in message
[...]

Well, for now it works. My code had just

SolverSolve

Addition of "True" appears to have helped. Hopefully it will remain so. Thanks, regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

"programmernovice" wrote in message
Peter T

Thanks Peter. In case it's helpful to you:

SolverSolve True

works. Regards

Indeed that's what the documentation says, but don't be surprised if
the
dialog appears again!

Peter T

.. and looking back at your post with your code you already had exactly
that...?

PT

Well, for now it works. My code had just

SolverSolve

Addition of "True" appears to have helped. Hopefully it will remain so.
Thanks, regards

Fair enough and my memory may well be wrong on this.

FWIW in what you said yesterday was your code (when you said it was giving a
compile error) SolverSolve included True:

solverSolve (True)

Peter T

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Tuesday, December 17, 2019 at 12:52:13 PM UTC-6, Peter T wrote:
[...]

I wonder if adding True without parentheses helped? At any rate it appears to work for now. Thanks again for your interest.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

[...]

Normally, the parenthesis are not needed when the method is not on the right
hand side of '=', OR when the enclosed does not include an operator.

SolverSolve True 'correct syntax
SolverSolve (True) 'incorrect syntax

With operator involved:
ret = SolverSolve(True) 'correct syntax if SolverSolve returns a value
bSuccess = (Err = 0) 'correct syntax using an operator
returns True if no error, otherwise returns False