ExcelBanter

-   -   Copy/Paste problem with =Proper function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/454105-copy-paste-problem-%3Dproper-function.html)

GARYWC June 10th 18 12:41 AM

Copy/Paste problem with =Proper function

The cells in column A contain:

A Fistful of Goats
A Goat at the Opera
A goat called Wanda
A Goat Grows in Brooklyn
A Goat of their Own
a Goat runs through it
A Goat to Remember

I type =proper(a1) in B1 and the result is 'A Fistful of Goats'.

When I copy the function in B1 and paste it into B2 to B7, the result (in all of the cells) is 'A Fistful of Goats".

However, the cell references in B2 thru B7 are correct:

=PROPER(A2)
=PROPER(A3)
=PROPER(A4)
=PROPER(A5)
=PROPER(A6)
=PROPER(A7)

How can I resolve this problem?

GS[_6_] June 10th 18 03:20 AM

Copy/Paste problem with =Proper function

The cells in column A contain:

A Fistful of Goats
A Goat at the Opera
A goat called Wanda
A Goat Grows in Brooklyn
A Goat of their Own
a Goat runs through it
A Goat to Remember

I type =proper(a1) in B1 and the result is 'A Fistful of Goats'.

When I copy the function in B1 and paste it into B2 to B7, the result (in all
of the cells) is 'A Fistful of Goats".

However, the cell references in B2 thru B7 are correct:

=PROPER(A2)
=PROPER(A3)
=PROPER(A4)
=PROPER(A5)
=PROPER(A6)
=PROPER(A7)

How can I resolve this problem?

I'm getting this:

A Fistful Of Goats
A Goat At The Opera
A Goat Called Wanda
A Goat Grows In Brooklyn
A Goat Of Their Own
A Goat Runs Through It
A Goat To Remember

I did this 2 ways and got the same results;

1st way:
select B1:B7
type =proper(a1)
hit Ctrl+Enter to populate the selection with the formula

2nd way:
select C1
type =proper(a1)
hit Enter
drag down to C7

Perhaps you should save your work, quit Excel, then restart Excel and try
again. If that fails then reboot and start with a clean cache!

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

GARYWC June 10th 18 05:41 PM

Copy/Paste problem with =Proper function

When I click F2 and press "Enter", the result in THAT cell changes to the expected (i.e., correct) result.

or when I save the spreadsheet, the results in ALL cells change to the expected (i.e., correct) results.

Claus Busch June 10th 18 05:45 PM

Copy/Paste problem with =Proper function

Hi,

Am Sun, 10 Jun 2018 09:41:10 -0700 (PDT) schrieb GARYWC:

When I click F2 and press "Enter", the result in THAT cell changes to the expected (i.e., correct) result.

or when I save the spreadsheet, the results in ALL cells change to the expected (i.e., correct) results.

your calculation is set to "Manuell"

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10
Office 2016

GARYWC June 10th 18 07:38 PM

Copy/Paste problem with =Proper function

Solved!

The Workbook settings was "Manual. Recalculate before saving"