-   -   Simple alpha numeric sorting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/453112-simple-alpha-numeric-sorting.html)

[email protected]

Simple alpha numeric sorting

Hi all,
I have absolutely NO experience with excel, and I am trying to sort lot numbers which are followed by a letter; eg:

1B
5B
19B
45B
190B
247B
560B

However I can only sort so it renders my results

1B
19B
190B
247B
45B
5B
560B

Every formula I've looked at is much too complex for what I'm trying to do, and as I have no experience with excel, I do not understand how to adapt the formula to my needs.

Help would be greatly appreciated, but please in lamen's terms. :)

Claus Busch

Simple alpha numeric sorting

Hi,

Am Sun, 5 Feb 2017 15:45:17 -0800 (PST) schrieb
:

I have absolutely NO experience with excel, and I am trying to sort lot numbers which are followed by a letter; eg:

1B
5B
19B
45B
190B
247B
560B

However I can only sort so it renders my results

1B
19B
190B
247B
45B
5B
560B

if your values in column A then make a helper column with this formula:
=IF(CODE(RIGHT(A1,1)) 64,LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)*1000+CODE(RIGHT(LOWER(A1),1)),A1*1000)
and copy down. Then sort your table by the helper column.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Windows10