-   -   Import Module weirdness (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/452073-import-module-weirdness.html)

Ray

Import Module weirdness

Hi -

I've created a "patch" tool to update a complex workbook used by approx 50 people. Among many other things, the patch updates several macros (using Chip Pearson's fabulous "Copy A Module" code, http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.aspx) and then re-attached macros using the .OnAction command. There are 6 modules updated and close to 250 macros re-attached.

The problem is, on 2 of the re-attaches ... the assigned-macro ends up being linked to the patch file and not the macro within the tool. For example:

the assigned macro should be: UpdateSalesHours
but instead shows as: 'Patch 02-083116_NEW.xlsm'!UpdateSalesHours

None of the other 200+ re-attaches does this ... why does this one?

I've tried replacing the modules in different orders, doing the re-attaches in different orders ... no change.

Any idea what would cause this? and more importantly, how to fix it?

Thanks in advance,
Ray

Ray

Import Module weirdness

Upon further investigation, the problem seems to be that the macro is being re-assigned to a Button (from MS Forms) vs shapes in the other cases.

Do Buttons behave differently in this case? or is this just coincidence?

GS[_6_]

Import Module weirdness

I've created a "patch" tool to update a complex workbook used by
approx 50 people. Among many other things, the patch updates several
macros (using Chip Pearson's fabulous "Copy A Module" code,
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/vbe.aspx) and then re-attached macros
using the .OnAction command. There are 6 modules updated and close
to 250 macros re-attached.

If you have that many users of your project...

Just curious why you don't use a core xla that uses a macro-free xlt so
all you have to do is distribute a new version? The xla can configure
Excel to use your own custom menus/toolbars or RibbonTab. All you need
to do is email users a download link for the latest release! **Way less
maintenance for you since the functionality is tested before release to
be reliably/securely working.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
microsoft.public.vb.general.discussion

---

Ray

Import Module weirdness

Hi Garry, thanks for the response ...

Funny that you mention that, as I learned just recently that I could just such a thing -- house the contents and macros in 2 separate files! I'm not sure how to build such a tool ... can you suggest online resources to use?

The tool that I'm updating now is firmly entrenched and re-configuring to a more efficient setup isn't an option at this point ...

GS[_6_]

Import Module weirdness

Hi Garry, thanks for the response ...

Funny that you mention that, as I learned just recently that I could
just such a thing -- house the contents and macros in 2 separate
files! I'm not sure how to build such a tool ... can you suggest
online resources to use?

The tool that I'm updating now is firmly entrenched and
re-configuring to a more efficient setup isn't an option at this
point ...

I'd have to see your project (hands on) to see how to go.
Unfortunately, converting a 'glorified' workbook to an addin *does
require* redesigning your project. This book will be a good place to
start...

http://www.appspro.com/Books/Books.htm

--
Garry