-   -   Sequential numbering formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/449266-sequential-numbering-formula.html)

Joe PSAV

Sequential numbering formula

I have a list of Session names in column A (could be just 1 or more then 25). I would like a formula that looks a column A and if A1 is the same as A2 then put the number 1 in column B. This numbering would continue until the name in column A does not match the name below, when this occurs the numbering would start over at 1.

This formula would create ‘Position number in Session’ listing in column B.

Claus Busch

Sequential numbering formula

Hi Joe,

Am Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:34:30 +0100 schrieb Joe PSAV:

I have a list of Session names in column A (could be just 1 or more then
25). I would like a formula that looks a column A and if A1 is the same
as A2 then put the number 1 in column B. This numbering would continue
until the name in column A does not match the name below, when this
occurs the numbering would start over at 1.

in B1 try:
=COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Joe PSAV

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claus Busch (Post 1613940)
Hi Joe,

Am Wed, 18 Sep 2013 14:34:30 +0100 schrieb Joe PSAV:

I have a list of Session names in column A (could be just 1 or more then
25). I would like a formula that looks a column A and if A1 is the same
as A2 then put the number 1 in column B. This numbering would continue
until the name in column A does not match the name below, when this
occurs the numbering would start over at 1.

in B1 try:
=COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

That is exactly what I was looking for, Thanks