-   -   select data entry by typing first letter which causes drop down list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/448497-select-data-entry-typing-first-letter-causes-drop-down-list.html)

Zorbahu

select data entry by typing first letter which causes drop down list

In one cell I want to quickly select one data value from a long list of data values located in another part of the spreadsheet. I want to start typing the first letter and then have excel immediately display a sublist of all possible data items from the list that begin with that letter that I typed. Can this be done in Excel? and How?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Zorbahu

witek

Zorbahu wrote:
In one cell I want to quickly select one data value from a long list of
data values located in another part of the spreadsheet. I want to start
typing the first letter and then have excel immediately display a
sublist of all possible data items from the list that begin with that
letter that I typed. Can this be done in Excel? and How?

if you are in edit mode typing a letter you can't do anything.
but once you hit enter or select another cell you can use
worksheet_change event to filter your data and fill .list property of a
listobox .

GS[_2_]

select data entry by typing first letter which causes drop down list

In one cell I want to quickly select one data value from a long list
of data values located in another part of the spreadsheet. I want to
start typing the first letter and then have excel immediately display
a sublist of all possible data items from the list that begin with
that letter that I typed. Can this be done in Excel? and How?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
Zorbahu

A ComboBox will cyle through all list iiems that begin will the letter
you type. For example, if there are 3 items that begin with "c" or "C",
continuosly pressing the 'C' key will cycle through each item and
display them in turn.

--
Garry

Classic VB Users Regroup!