-   -   How to write Left Function in VB (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/444972-how-write-left-function-vbulletin.html)

KLZA

How to write Left Function in VB

Hi. I'm trying to programmatically write this line of code into a
macro:

=LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1)

The function shows all characters to the left of a hyphen. Anything
to the right and the hypen isn't displayed.

Ex. 12345-6789 shows as 12345

I'd like to use this function in code to highlight an entire column
like A:A and display the results in B:B.

I'd also like to ignore rows where no hyphen is found. Can anyone
help on this?

Rick Rothstein

How to write Left Function in VB

I'm trying to programmatically write this line of code into a
macro:

=LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1)

The function shows all characters to the left of a hyphen. Anything
to the right and the hypen isn't displayed.

Ex. 12345-6789 shows as 12345

I'd like to use this function in code to highlight an entire column
like A:A and display the results in B:B.

I'd also like to ignore rows where no hyphen is found. Can anyone
help on this?

I would not use the LEFT function at all; the following will be much
quicker...

Sub GetTextBeforeHyphen()
Columns("B").Value = Columns("A").Value
Columns("B").Replace "-*", "", xlPart
End Sub

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

clawdogs

How to write Left Function in VB

On Sep 22, 3:09*pm, "Rick Rothstein"
wrote:
I'm trying to programmatically write this line of code into a
macro:

=LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1)

The function shows all characters to the left of a hyphen. *Anything
to the right and the hypen isn't displayed.

Ex. *12345-6789 shows as 12345

I'd like to use this function in code to highlight an entire column
like A:A and display the results in B:B.

I'd also like to ignore rows where no hyphen is found. *Can anyone
help on this?

I would not use the LEFT function at all; the following will be much
quicker...

Sub GetTextBeforeHyphen()
* * Columns("B").Value = Columns("A").Value
* * Columns("B").Replace "-*", "", xlPart
End Sub

Rick Rothstein (MVP - Excel)

Thanks! I didn't imagine that to be so simple. How do I get this to
work even if certain rows are hidden with a filter?