-   -   multiple processors (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/441375-multiple-processors.html)

Rod[_2_]

multiple processors

Reading this article carefully, which I quote below
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr... Improvements

"Most workbooks show a significant improvement in calculation speed on a
system with multiple cores. The degree of improvement depends on how many
independent calculation trees the workbook contains. If you make a workbook
that contains one continuous chain of formulas, it will not show any
multithreaded calculation (MTC) performance gain, whereas a workbook that
contains several independent chains of formulas will show gains close to the
number of processors available."

I get the impression that a spreadsheet which looked like this

Cell_1 = 2 + 3

Cell_2 = 4 + 5

Cell_3 = Cell_1 + Cell_2

would all be done in one thread whilst most of it could be spread over two.

Anyone know if this is the case?

many thanks

Rod

joel[_857_]

multiple processors

Cell_1 = 2 + 3

Cell_2 = 4 + 5

Cell_3 = Cell_1 + Cell_2

I would think that Cell_1 and Cell_2 are two independant threads and
can be performed in parallel. Cell_3 isn't independant since it relies
on two seperate calcualtion threads and has to wait for both threads to
finish before it can be calculated.

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229