-   -   search column for duplicate value during data entry (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/441199-search-column-duplicate-value-during-data-entry.html)

smpk42

search column for duplicate value during data entry

I'm entering data one row at a time. When I enter a value in column A, I need
to know if that value has been entered (in Column A) before. Column A needs
to be unique values.

What is the best way to verify uniqueness, as I enter a new value?

Should I use a module or can a formula check for?

I'd prefer to have a Warning box pop up indicating "Value already entered in
this column", so I'm assuming a module (VB?) is the way to go.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to read.

Thanks,

Barb Reinhardt

search column for duplicate value during data entry

The easiest way to do this is to use a conditional format. Take a look and
see if that helps.
--
HTH,

Barb Reinhardt

"smpk42" wrote:

I'm entering data one row at a time. When I enter a value in column A, I need
to know if that value has been entered (in Column A) before. Column A needs
to be unique values.

What is the best way to verify uniqueness, as I enter a new value?

Should I use a module or can a formula check for?

I'd prefer to have a Warning box pop up indicating "Value already entered in
this column", so I'm assuming a module (VB?) is the way to go.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to read.

Thanks,

smpk42

search column for duplicate value during data entry

Sweet.

That does the trick - if a dup number is entered, it appears in Red.

I figured it could be done simply.

Thanks Barb.

"smpk42" wrote:

I'm entering data one row at a time. When I enter a value in column A, I need
to know if that value has been entered (in Column A) before. Column A needs
to be unique values.

What is the best way to verify uniqueness, as I enter a new value?

Should I use a module or can a formula check for?

I'd prefer to have a Warning box pop up indicating "Value already entered in
this column", so I'm assuming a module (VB?) is the way to go.

If you have any suggestions, I'd be happy to read.

Thanks,

Gord Dibben

search column for duplicate value during data entry

See Chip Pearson's site for using Data Validation to prevent duplicate
entries in a column.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.aspx

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP