-   -   Checkbook register (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/439740-checkbook-register.html)

Alpha

Checkbook register

If I have a checkbook ledger and I want to find the total in a category. For
example, I have Auto Insurance, Gas bill, etc. I want to know how much I
have payed in Gas until now, lets say six months into the year. What formula
or method do I use?

Tony

J_Knowles

Checkbook register

Let say your data is in A1:G100 and column G has dollars spent. Turn on
AutoFilter
In the "Category" column pick Gas and in the "Date" column filter for 6
months.

In cell G102, place this formula for summing dollars that are filtered.
=SUBTOTAL(9,G2:G100)
This will give you the subtotal for gas for a 6 month period.

You could then copy G102 and paste special - values into table of expenses
for 6 months.

HTH,
--
Data Hog