-   -   Propercase, strings and arrays (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/438085-propercase-strings-arrays.html)

Paul Wilson[_2_]

Propercase, strings and arrays

Hi,

I need to write some script that allows me to evaluate a cell values first 2
characters for "MC". If found Uppercase the 3rd Character. This way I can use
it and adapt it for any naming anomoly.

eg "MCCARTHY" - "McCarthy"

My thoughts were to put each character of the value and evaluate the first
character then the second. When a match is found re-write the value out of
the array in the correct casing format.

Cheers
--
Paul Wilson

joel[_492_]

Propercase, strings and arrays

try this instead

if ucase(Range("A1")) = "MCCARTHY" then
Range("A1") = "McCarthy"
end if

for a more general case

if ucase(left(Range("A1"),3)) = "MCC" then
Range("A1") = "McC" & mid(Range("A1"),4)
end if

--
joel
joel's Profile: 229

Microsoft Office Help

Jacob Skaria

Propercase, strings and arrays

Hi Paul

Select the range to be converted and run the below macro which should
convert as specified. (script that allows me to evaluate a cell values first
2 characters for "MC")

Sub Macro()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
If UCase(cell.Text) Like "MC*" Then
cell.Value = "Mc" & StrConv(Mid(cell, 3), vbProperCase)
End If
Next

Jacob

"Paul Wilson" wrote:

Hi,

I need to write some script that allows me to evaluate a cell values first 2
characters for "MC". If found Uppercase the 3rd Character. This way I can use
it and adapt it for any naming anomoly.

eg "MCCARTHY" - "McCarthy"

My thoughts were to put each character of the value and evaluate the first
character then the second. When a match is found re-write the value out of
the array in the correct casing format.

Cheers
--
Paul Wilson