-   -   Importing data from Outlook into Excel (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/437419-importing-data-outlook-into-excel.html)

Monomeeth

Importing data from Outlook into Excel

Hello

What I would like to do is import the First Name, Last Name and "Alias" from
every email in my Outlook Inbox into an Excel Spreadsheet containing 3
distinct dolumns for the data.

We are using Outlook 2003 and Excel 2003, and our organisation uses MS
Exchange Servers.

If it helps to provide some context, the reason I need to do this is that I
am managing a mailbox for an internal journal we produce. Readers wanting to
subscribe are asked to send an email to the mailbox and up until now I have
been manually going in and looking at their Outlook Properties and copying
and pasting their names and User IDs (i.e. Aliases) from their Outlook
Properties. However, I recently had four days off and upon my return I had
176 new emails sitting in the Inbox - so this is too many to do manually -
especially with many more likely to come in over the XMAS/New Year's period
while I'm away.

I figure that this could be automated with the use of a macro run from Excel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Joe.
--
If you can measure it, you can improve it!

ryguy7272

Importing data from Outlook into Excel

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ou...964231033.aspx

--
Ryan---

"Monomeeth" wrote:

[...]

Hi Ryan

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I had already tried the Import/Export
command from Outlook and that didn't quite do what I wanted. The best I could
get was two columns with the FromName in the format:

surname,firstname

and their FromAddress in the format:

/O=ATO/OU=UMGEXCH/CN=RECIPIENTS/CN=UBANO

What I really need is to have three columns: (A) First Name; (B) Surname;
and, (C) their User ID or alias or address. In the FromAddress example above
what I actually need is only the last 5 characters (i.e. UBANO) as this is
the user's User ID and can be used as their address in Outlook's To: field.

I suppose the way around this would be to do the export from Outlook and
then have a macro which separated out the users first and last names from the
name column and which also stripped all the characters before the User ID in
the FromAddress column.

I don't suppose you'd have any suggestions on how I could do that? I might
go off and work on that approach.

Thanks for your help!

Joe.