Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VB.NET with Excel VBA

I want to consider accessing the Excel Object Model from Visual Studio using
VB.NET. Can the Excel Object Model be accessed from the Visual Studio VB.NET
IDE in essentially the same manner as I currently do this from the built-in
Excel VBA IDE? That is, step thru program, check modified Ranges in
Worksheets, etc., in a normal debugging process. Can anyone reassure me
(share their experience) on the efficacy of accessing Excel VBA via Visual
Studio VB.NET. I did check the Office Developer User Group, but nothing much
was discussed about this there.

Background: I currently have large functioning Excel VBA programs, which
calculate dimensions for die designs for our CAD system, using the built-in
Excel VBA IDE. Our CAD system just introduced a VB.NET API, and I would like
to change the dimensions, calculated in Excel VBA, directly within the CAD
Object Model, from the CAD system's VB API in Visual Studio. Currently I am
passing the calculated dimensions to the CAD system through text files via a
very complicated process. I can't get the CAD system's VB API to work
properly with the Excel VBA IDE, probably because some VB.NET code (e.g. Try
blocks) isn't recognized. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to be clear
on what I wanted to do.