-   -   Value of type 'General' cell different from 'Number' or 'Text'? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/432096-value-type-general-cell-different-number-text.html)

Gijs

Value of type 'General' cell different from 'Number' or 'Text'?

Hi,
I have a problem to get single numeric values from an Excel worksheet (that
I need to process as I receive it).
The Value property is null for a type General field.
The Value property contains the right value in case of number or text type.
I use the Microsoft Excel 9.0 Library (and C#) because I need to process
Excel 2000/2003 files.
It must be simple, but I can't find the solution.
Who can help me?

Thanks,
Gijs

joel

Value of type 'General' cell different from 'Number' or 'Text'?

Read the value as text. you can then use then can test the string in C# using
IsNumber().

"Gijs" wrote:

Hi,
I have a problem to get single numeric values from an Excel worksheet (that
I need to process as I receive it).
The Value property is null for a type General field.
The Value property contains the right value in case of number or text type.
I use the Microsoft Excel 9.0 Library (and C#) because I need to process
Excel 2000/2003 files.
It must be simple, but I can't find the solution.
Who can help me?

Thanks,
Gijs

Gijs[_2_]

"Gijs" wrote:
Hi,
I have a problem to get single numeric values from an Excel worksheet *(that
I need to process as I receive it).
The Value property is null for a type General field.
The Value property contains the right value in case of number or text type.
I use the Microsoft Excel 9.0 Library (and C#) because I need to process
Excel 2000/2003 files.
It must be simple, but I can't find the solution.
Who can help me?

Thanks,
Gijs- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht niet weergeven -

- Tekst uit oorspronkelijk bericht weergeven -

The 'Value' is null and the 'Text' is emtry "".
Where is the cell contents stored in case of NumberFormat = General?
Thanks,
Gijs

joel

Value of type 'General' cell different from 'Number' or 'Text'

The cell contents text is always stored in the same location. Number and
text may end up in a different class an be right or left justified. I think
it would be better just to force text to be read. Then do you own type
conversion is C#.

In excel yo sometimes end up with spaces in front or at the end of a number
which would convert the number to text. I often in excel vba perform a trim
to get rid of extra spaces. A worksheet is entered by hand and not by a
program. People often type extra spaces into excel worksheets. Programs
then have a lot of problems handling the extra space conditions.