-   -   restrict users to input atleast five characters (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-programming/431749-restrict-users-input-atleast-five-characters.html)

Sam

restrict users to input atleast five characters

how do we restrict user to input minimun characters in a text box on userform.

for eg. I want to make zip code field such that users need to input atlest 5
characters, and not anything less then that.

thanks in advance

Eduardo

restrict users to input atleast five characters

Hi ,

Go to visual basic, view object, position in the textbox you want to enter
the limit, then choose Categorized, under Behavior look into MaxLength and
enter 5 there

"sam" wrote:

how do we restrict user to input minimun characters in a text box on userform.

for eg. I want to make zip code field such that users need to input atlest 5
characters, and not anything less then that.

thanks in advance

Mike H

restrict users to input atleast five characters

Hi,

There's the maxlength that you asked about earlier but no minlength so you
have to check yourself. Right click the textbox, view code and try this code

Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean)
If Len(TextBox1.Text) < 5 Then
With Me.TextBox1
.Text = ""
.SetFocus
End With
MsgBox "A properly formatted zipcode please"

Mike

"sam" wrote:

how do we restrict user to input minimun characters in a text box on userform.

for eg. I want to make zip code field such that users need to input atlest 5
characters, and not anything less then that.

thanks in advance

Rick Rothstein

restrict users to input atleast five characters

You could use this Exit event code for the TextBox (assumed to be named
TextBox1 for this example)...

Private Sub TextBox1_Exit(ByVal Cancel As MSForms.ReturnBoolean)
If Len(TextBox1.Text) 0 And Len(TextBox1) < 5 Then
Cancel = True
MsgBox "Your entry must be at least 5 characters long."

As written, the code allows the user to exit the TextBox if there is no
entry in it (that is what the 0 test provides for).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)