Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to get list of subfolders, including shortcuts to folders?

The code below prints a list of subfolders in the specified folder.
However, it overlooks shortcuts to folders.

How can I include shortcuts to folders in the list, but not files and
shortcuts to files?

I think I want to know: how can I find the attribute of the object that a
shortcut ultimately links to?

(By "ultimately links to", I mean: the non-shortcut object, if a shortcut
links to a shortcut, if that is even possible in Win XP.)

Shortcuts to folders and files have only the attribute vbArchive on Win XP,
the same as normal files. (I suspect GetAttr returns zero if the object has
been backed up.)

Shortcuts are distinguishable from normal file by the extension ".lnk". But
shortcuts to folders seem indistinguishable from shortcuts to files.

Sub doit()
Const topdir As String = "C:\Documents and Settings\foo\My Documents\bar\"
Dim d As String, x As Long
d = Dir(topdir, vbDirectory)
While d < ""
x = GetAttr(topdir & d)